Audi, Mercedes, Porsche, BMW Forum

Welcome to Deutschespeed.com the newly launched community for German Performance car lovers. The site is in it's launch phase at the moment and so content and membership is small (but growing). Soon we'll have competition prizes and and a live ad campaign to help build the community. If you'd like to be apart of what's going on, sign up and join in!

What are your priorities for driving pleasure for Road use !

boba fett

Racing Driver
Drives
320d
Its an interesting subject, and the faster cars get the more pointless they become for road use. I had a 650bhp Turbo which although a weapon, it was quite boring and to easy to drive fast, and when you where on the ragged edge you where going way to fast and in instant license losing territory and a stint inside. I had way more fun in a Clio 182 Trophy!

I find it better to drive something with less power for which you can use all of it, all of the time! As I get older its not all about "POWER" although it can be nice as well of course.

What about all the drifting you see on the TV shows, its just nonsense. Yes I have had a lot of fun doing it on the roads mostly in the past and late at night or early morning, but If you do that on the road now and get away with it, people just look at you as if you are a complete ar5hole and probably Miss daisy will submit her dash cam footage. The roads nowadays are just to busy and full of "users" in the cheapest possible A to B transport sh1t boxes doing 20 in a 30 and 37 in a 60. Even users coming the other way find it a challenge to stay in their own lane these days, and how anyone can have a super car in London is just crazy and pointless unless you want to do 6 mph saying look at me, revving or doing 0 to 20 mph hang back drag starts!

I live in an area that you can still explore a fast car, but just, you have to go out at the weekends really early in the morning when there is hardly a car around, and you can have fun for a while, failing that you are just as fast as the car in front!! Currently don't think there is anything better than having a nice looking car, that looks good just sat there, proud to clean and then ringing the neck out of a lovely high revving V8 with a crisp throttle response and glorious noise that just builds and builds to a crescendo, then throw in a lovely chassis for cornering and controls that talk to you is what its all about for me.

Just interested to know what floats your boat ?

jada07515

Tyre Kicker
Drives
BMW e92 M3
I echo how you feel mate, having owned 500 plus bhp cars it’s just not a rewarding as a lower powered or more engaging car - my last car which was the m2 cp was a great car but I just didn’t feel it gave me the smiles for miles…simply put you were at silly speeds before you even knew it and it became more of a tense drive than an enjoyable one.

in the v8 I really enjoy the drive no matter what the speed as it’s such an occasion! I don’t car if people pull up behind me wanting to race as I just pull into the slow lane and let them pop and bang away;)

end of the day it’s about sensations and I think the e92 is miles ahead of lots of cars…I did try the rs3 but Jesus that was as dull as dishwater!!

moonstone

Tyre Kicker
Drives
Audi R8 V10+ • Taycan GTS
Yeah, I have to agree. I've felt this way for a number of years now. Shelling out big money for a machine that you rarely get to fully explore. I have to say it was my E92 M3 that really started to make me feel like this because I felt as if I rarely got a chance to explore its full capabilities further up the rev range (because it's so vast!)

I think I've gone through a period where I've come to terms with it and it doesn't bother me as much as it used to. The M5 is a good car for me as I don't feel cheated if I don't get a chance to ring its neck on a particular journey. Instead it does feel like a "do-it-all" machine.

That said, I'm now constantly looking at older Porsches as a weekend fun car. Something I've never considered before, ever, so I suppose that's an indictment of modern cars versus "purer" but slower machines where you get a chance to enjoy them more. Its one of the reasons that the Toyota GT86 / Subaru BRZ and the Yaris GR get good reviews, these are cars that can be properly enjoyed on the roads without your license flashing before your eyes.

In terms of the standard of driving overall. I've never seen it worse. There's not a day goes past where I don't see something dodgy, mainly due to lack of care and attention.

M4rkM

Test Pilot
Drives
M4 ZCP
Regarding sliding, I pulled out of a junction sideways and a guy in an approaching megane was giving me the thumbs up, I can’t help feel that if it had been the M4 it would’ve been a different hand signal 🤣

boba fett

Racing Driver
Drives
320d
Yeah, I have to agree. I've felt this way for a number of years now. Shelling out big money for a machine that you rarely get to fully explore. I have to say it was my E92 M3 that really started to make me feel like this because I felt as if I rarely got a chance to explore its full capabilities further up the rev range (because it's so vast!)

I think I've gone through a period where I've come to terms with it and it doesn't bother me as much as it used to. The M5 is a good car for me as I don't feel cheated if I don't get a chance to ring its neck on a particular journey. Instead it does feel like a "do-it-all" machine.

That said, I'm now constantly looking at older Porsches as a weekend fun car. Something I've never considered before, ever, so I suppose that's an indictment of modern cars versus "purer" but slower machines where you get a chance to enjoy them more. Its one of the reasons that the Toyota GT86 / Subaru BRZ and the Yaris GR get good reviews, these are cars that can be properly enjoyed on the roads without your license flashing before your eyes.

In terms of the standard of driving overall. I've never seen it worse. There's not a day goes past where I don't see something dodgy, mainly due to lack of care and attention.

That's very true, I need to try a Yaris GR, its just badge snobbery holding me back at the moment!

...Your last statement, OMG, your right its never been so bad!

boba fett

Racing Driver
Drives
320d
Regarding sliding, I pulled out of a junction sideways and a guy in an approaching megane was giving me the thumbs up, I can’t help feel that if it had been the M4 it would’ve been a different hand signal 🤣

BMW drivers get the worst press, my wife is always saying if there is an ar5ehole on the road, he is usually in a BMW!

moonstone

Tyre Kicker
Drives
Audi R8 V10+ • Taycan GTS
BMW drivers get the worst press, my wife is always saying if there is an ar5ehole on the road, he is usually in a BMW!

It's been well-documented that the mantle has long since been passed to Audi drivers!

Can't beat a bit of tribalism in the car world, can you? "All >>INSERT BRAND NAME HERE<< drivers are arseholes" as if someone's choice of product completely defines them. :LOL:

Came upon a Ford Focus hogging the outside line (inside totally empty) on my morning commute today. I never tailgate, I usually keep a respectful distance and then edge close so they know I'm there, to give them a chance to move over. No response, so I undertake the guy and as I then slow down as I hit more traffic further up, the old boy in the Focus has had the foot the entire time and is now right up my arse. 🤷‍♂️🤦‍♂️

Che

Test Pilot
Drives
R8 v10+
Completely agree for road use, small, light and underpowered is probably the most fun you can have.
I’m running around in a shitty 68hp 107 and even that has surprised me how much fun it can be!

boba fett

Racing Driver
Drives
320d
Completely agree for road use, small, light and underpowered is probably the most fun you can have.
I’m running around in a shitty 68hp 107 and even that has surprised me how much fun it can be!

I agree mate sometimes less is more!

G50

Boy Racer
Drives
Bmw 540i
I've just put a deposit down on an Up GTI for exactly those reasons above. Some decent tyres and coilovers and should be great fun without doing silly speeds, plus super cheap running costs.

Broncho

Test Pilot
Drives
E Class Cabrio
When I had my Z4M I always wished it was just a touch lighter and a bit more nimble but the engine was sublime, whenever I drove my brothers S1 Elise I always wished it had a bit more power but the lightweight, chassis and steering feel were second to none for a useable road car.

I owned 2 Honda S2000s and always felt for road use they were the best of both of both worlds, enough power and an entertaining enough chassis to be proper fun and an engine that needed to be kept alive all the time which was never a chore as it had one of the best gear changes I’ve ever used.

A marmite car but my God did I have fun in mine.

boba fett

Racing Driver
Drives
320d
When I had my Z4M I always wished it was just a touch lighter and a bit more nimble but the engine was sublime, whenever I drove my brothers S1 Elise I always wished it had a bit more power but the lightweight, chassis and steering feel were second to none for a useable road car.

I owned 2 Honda S2000s and always felt for road use they were the best of both of both worlds, enough power and an entertaining enough chassis to be proper fun and an engine that needed to be kept alive all the time which was never a chore as it had one of the best gear changes I’ve ever used.

A marmite car but my God did I have fun in mine.

S2000 was a good drivers car, and still one of the best NA power per litre cars!

isleaiw

Test Pilot
Drives
RS4 / Mini
I've just put a deposit down on an Up GTI for exactly those reasons above. Some decent tyres and coilovers and should be great fun without doing silly speeds, plus super cheap running costs.
Gave me heart failure then, I thought the famous cove had joined us....!

I love the Mini for every day fun, and at 6 years old and only 28k miles, its now peanuts to run with next to no depreciation and over 4 discounted servicing at the dealers....

G50

Boy Racer
Drives
Bmw 540i
Gave me heart failure then, I thought the famous cove had joined us....!

I love the Mini for every day fun, and at 6 years old and only 28k miles, its now peanuts to run with next to no depreciation and over 4 discounted servicing at the dealers....
I know, nearly put me off getting one, but they're a lot of fun for the money.

Senna11

Racing Driver
Love driving the wife’s Cooper S, so much fun with approx 200bhp and great for an A road blast without fear of the car trying to put me in a hedge! Pretty much agree with other comments made about larger power units, but wouldn’t necessarily put me off but harder to enjoy at 7/10 tenths particularly with the dash cam brigade. This footage shouldn’t be allowed unless as part of an accident. I see more idiots not looking at roundabouts and driving straight on.

SkyJawa

Test Pilot
Drives
F30 335d
My BMW is 375-400bhp, its too quick for the roads and how busy they are, rarely stretches its legs and can't imagine what its like for higher powered cars.

My 205 has 130bhp if you are lucky, I can ring its neck, the feedback is fantastic, and all in legal speeds. Always end every journey with a smile!