Audi, Mercedes, Porsche, BMW Forum

Welcome to Deutschespeed.com the newly launched community for German Performance car lovers. The site is in it's launch phase at the moment and so content and membership is small (but growing). Soon we'll have competition prizes and and a live ad campaign to help build the community. If you'd like to be apart of what's going on, sign up and join in!

What modern classic car would you consider?

boba fett

Racing Driver
Drives
320d
For the first time I am thinking of getting an older classic. What with the roads getting chocker, I just want something that’ adds a different sort of drama to smoke around in. I want something cool, something from the 80’s early 90’s, a convertible, has a bit of go in it, and does not break down all the time.

I have thought about this for a few weeks now and interested in your thoughts of what you would consider getting. Number one on the list so far is an R129 500SL which is a car I think is so pretty, and when they came out, they where so desirable and a car I could only dream of owning.

Burnsey

Chief Engineer
Drives
2023 G80 M3 Competition X-Drive
Tough one mate!

The problem is, modern classics are modern and all they have is woeful performance and really crap interiors, usually with a lot of walnut.

My Maserati 3200GT was the coolest car I owned (at that time - late 90's)), but it wouldn't get a head turn now.

If you feel the need though, I'm with you, or another Merc from the era. I just think they did cool so well.

boba fett

Racing Driver
Drives
320d
Tough one mate!

The problem is, modern classics are modern and all they have is woeful performance and really crap interiors, usually with a lot of walnut.

My Maserati 3200GT was the coolest car I owned (at that time - late 90's)), but it wouldn't get a head turn now.

If you feel the need though, I'm with you, or another Merc from the era. I just think they did cool so well.

I am with you on the performance, and yes inside they have a log burner for a dash and probably smell like grannies handbag! I am going to look at a 500sl tomorrow, don't know why, I just want one! Its one of those timeless shapes and it looks good from all angles. They appear to be going up in value as well which I like!

Che

Test Pilot
Drives
R8 v10+
Merc is a good shout, what about an slk55?
Always had a soft spot for those!

boba fett

Racing Driver
Drives
320d
Merc is a good shout, what about an slk55?
Always had a soft spot for those!

it’s good car, if not a little girly, but after something a bit older and the more I look at the SL 5he more I want one. It’s a rare car that I like in Silver!

boba fett

Racing Driver
Drives
320d
Sorry I thought you were asking for ideas.

I am, it might be something I have not thought of, its hard to think of an 80's / early 90's car that will prove to reliable and wont be rusty or will rust.

I am off to see a 500 today, and I am hoping it will be everything I want but if not it might be back to the studio!

boba fett

Racing Driver
Drives
320d
I nearly walked away from this but it was a 4 journey to see it. Its just old, but ill give it a go. Drove lovely for the 200 mile trip home apart from the Air-Con suddenly stopped working half way home!!

boba fett

Racing Driver
Drives
320d
I had a good old drive around in this yesterday and I don't think a classic is for me, however here are my thoughts:

• I know its 30 years years old, but it feels it, in every department.
  • Its got 322 horses but it feels like some have run off
  • They say this is the glory days of Mercedes build quality and engineering, and its probably right, everything works and its in great shape!
  • My wife won't go in it!
  • It has that old car smell, some like it, I don't!
  • It is very, very comfortable and so smooth. You could just sit back and drive for miles in this car!
  • SL stands for Sports Lightweight, it is neither sporty or lightweight.
  • People really like this car and quite a few times got "lovely Merc" and thumbs up!
  • For some reason it just makes me feel old and grubby
  • Prices for parts for this car are ridiculous, and its used items only.
  • When these came out they where £90k! WTF!
  • I appreciate the following and why prices are going up as compared to other classics, its still a good buy, but Its not for me, and I tried!

moonstone

Tyre Kicker
Drives
Audi R8 V10+ • Taycan GTS
Great looking thing but very old cars aren’t for me either for just about all of the same reasons you mention.

Scoobyd

Boy Racer
Drives
BMW E46 330ci Sport Convertible
So you've lasted 3 days with this one? Even by your standards that's gotta be close to a record! 😂

boba fett

Racing Driver
Drives
320d
I'd love a Yank motor, I just don't like driving them from the wrong side.

StuartK

Chief Engineer
For the first time I am thinking of getting an older classic. What with the roads getting chocker, I just want something that’ adds a different sort of drama to smoke around in. I want something cool, something from the 80’s early 90’s, a convertible, has a bit of go in it, and does not break down all the time.

I have thought about this for a few weeks now and interested in your thoughts of what you would consider getting. Number one on the list so far is an R129 500SL which is a car I think is so pretty, and when they came out, they where so desirable and a car I could only dream of owning.
W124 500E