Audi, Mercedes, Porsche, BMW Forum

Welcome to Deutschespeed.com the newly launched community for German Performance car lovers. The site is in it's launch phase at the moment and so content and membership is small (but growing). Soon we'll have competitions and much more. If you'd like to be apart of what's going on, sign up and join in!

What would you buy for up to £40k ?

boba fett

Racing Driver
Drives
320d
I've narrowed the search down a bit.

C7 RS6 just need one in the right spec.
Audi R8 manual. The right car, right spec and colour is hard to come by.
I do like an RS5 Convertible so elegant and good looking.
F10 M5 competition missed out on a beauty the other day
Aston Martin V8 vantage. Look lovely with some extras, but not keen inside.

SS13

Test Pilot
Drives
Porsche 930 turbo
I wouldn’t try an Aston as a daily.

I’ve had a couple in the past and as beautiful as they looked, they’re driving rewards are just not there. Also amiss is the reliability.

I was thinking like you though, so did try them… so give them a shot and enjoy the journey.

moonstone

Tyre Kicker
Drives
Audi R8 V10+ • Taycan GTS
I've narrowed the search down a bit.

C7 RS6 just need one in the right spec.
Audi R8 manual. The right car, right spec and colour is hard to come by.
I do like an RS5 Convertible so elegant and good looking.
F10 M5 competition missed out on a beauty the other day
Aston Martin V8 vantage. Look lovely with some extras, but not keen inside.

Having had a couple of E93s and an F83 I think you'd be disappointed in the RS5 to be honest. Granted it has the V8 but the driving dynamics on the B8 platform just can't hold a candle to the BMWs.

boba fett

Racing Driver
Drives
320d
Having had a couple of E93s and an F83 I think you'd be disappointed in the RS5 to be honest. Granted it has the V8 but the driving dynamics on the B8 platform just can't hold a candle to the BMWs.

I think you are right, and the Vert will be worse !

boba fett

Racing Driver
Drives
320d
One thing I will say, is there is definitely a shortage of cars for sale. Been looking and looking. Viewed a couple of cars yesterday.

The first was an R8. I don't know much about them and not really shown much interest in them over the years, If I get one it will be a coupe manual, and this was a Tip Cab, although it was very nice and I was properly tempted (my wife really liked it, probably because it was very TTish)

Then I went off to see an M3 Competition, that was one of the last made and very well specced. It was a 5 hour journey so I tried to claw out as much information about the car and its condition. I was there for 2 minutes and the seller got both barrels. The car looked like it had been abandoned. Both front plastic wings where cracked right in the middle of the wheel arch (I thought it was cob webs at first It must of had a fair wack at some point because they had been plastic welded then repainted but cracked again) I don't think there was 3 panels that colour matched properly, wheels and tyres where fvcked, It was a dog and by far the worst I have seen. Idiot kept saying its Mint, its mint on the phone (you probably know the type) should have known better really!!

Back to the studio !

boba fett

Racing Driver
Drives
320d
I am not having much fun...

I have viewed 4 cars now, 2013 M3 E92 competition, 20010 Audi R8 manual, and a 2015 RS5 Vert.

The M3 was just terrible, both front plastic wings where cracked, panel match was all over the place along with poor paint work and signs of smart repairs all over. Probably the worst I have seen and cheap for a very good reason.

The R8 described as 95% near new condition and mechanically perfect, had Alloy corrosion on most panels, with lacquer flake around the windows, brake warning light was on, needed new tyres, Carbon had gone Green, nail scratches all over the interior trim, it was just an absolute dog.

The RS5 was quite nice, lovely spec and colour, but really flaky service history, when advertised as full Audi. It had timing chain chatter on start up (Common and not really an issue but the tensioners need doing really at £3k) oh and Nangkang tyres all round !

I was going to see an RS6 today, but, I am going to leave it now and I am going to give up on this car viewing for a week or so, put nearly a thousand miles on the Range and spent last weekend and this viewing cars, that are frankly nothing like as described.

Burnsey

Chief Engineer
Drives
2023 G80 M3 Competition X-Drive

I have viewed 4 cars now, 2013 M3 E92 competition, 20010 Audi R8 manual, and a 2015 RS5 Vert.

The M3 was just terrible, both front plastic wings where cracked, panel match was all over the place along with poor paint work and signs of smart repairs all over. Probably the worst I have seen and cheap for a very good reason.

The R8 described as 95% near new condition and mechanically perfect, had Alloy corrosion on most panels, with lacquer flake around the windows, brake warning light was on, needed new tyres, Carbon had gone Green, nail scratches all over the interior trim, it was just an absolute dog.

The RS5 was quite nice, lovely spec and colour, but really flaky service history, when advertised as full Audi. It had timing chain chatter on start up (Common and not really an issue but the tensioners need doing really at £3k) oh and Nangkang tyres all round !

I was going to see an RS6 today, but, I am going to leave it now and I am going to give up on this car viewing for a week or so, put nearly a thousand miles on the Range and spent last weekend and this viewing cars, that are frankly nothing like as described.

Yep, it's an odd price range that mate and annoys me to type that!

I'm getting offered great money for the M5 and I am tempted to change for an RS4 Avant or similar until the offers start rolling in on the new AWD M3's, but there is a fine line with performance cars of shit boxes and really well looked after ones and you can cover many miles looking.

moonstone

Tyre Kicker
Drives
The car market is really weird at the moment. I've been tracking WBAC offers on mine just out of curiosity and it's going up and down like a yo-yo. Sitting quite high at the moment.

The biggest thing for me is that I've done so much to this car it puts me off changing. Other than that it's a vert and the weather's lovely. Most of the cars that I'm really interested in are 2-seaters and I can't entertain them due to the practicality issues it would cause.

Derekh929

Chief Engineer
Drives
F56 JCW & Vintage MTB

BF I think loads chancing their luck at present with pent up dem, surely it’s only a mater of months before it slows?

boba fett

Racing Driver
Drives
320d
BF I think loads chancing their luck at present with pent up dem, surely it’s only a mater of months before it slows?
I agree, and I would love to hold out to see! But found a really nice RS6 with a really nice spec, it’s new in at Audi and I’ve not seen it yet, but I’m told its lovely, so put a deposit down, it’s even got night vision, always wanted that!!

moonstone

Tyre Kicker
Drives
I agree, and I would love to hold out to see! But found a really nice RS6 with a really nice spec, it’s new in at Audi and I’ve not seen it yet, but I’m told its lovely, so put a deposit down, it’s even got night vision, always wanted that!!

That is a super rare option.

SS13

Test Pilot
Drives
Porsche 930 turbo
Great choice Boba. I love these goliaths and that V8 makes a fantastic noise.
Not what I had in mind though when you said it needed to be fun.

boba fett

Racing Driver
Drives
320d
Great choice Boba. I love these goliaths and that V8 makes a fantastic noise.
Not what I had in mind though when you said it needed to be fun.
I think they can be fun, I don’t keep my cars long, so it will never be a keeper like the fez. Always wanted a C7 so would not settle till I have had one. if I get it, it will be in for a remap the next day and 720 Bhp and 950 ft. It’s got the sports exhaust, sport diff, dynamic pack and RS Sport + with DRC, Dynamic steering and all that jazz! so should handle as well.

Derekh929

Chief Engineer
Drives
F56 JCW & Vintage MTB
Congrats BF, look forward to pics soon and your thoughts on it after you get it(y)

boba fett

Racing Driver
Drives
320d
Congrats BF, look forward to pics soon and your thoughts on it after you get it(y)
Cheers, its got to have all the prep work done including the 6 million 347 thousand point check, and have lines put in the carpets done first ;) They are sending me a Citnow vid anytime soon.