Audi, Mercedes, Porsche, BMW Forum

Welcome to Deutschespeed.com the newly launched community for German Performance car lovers. The site is in it's launch phase at the moment and so content and membership is small (but growing). Soon we'll have competitions and much more. If you'd like to be apart of what's going on, sign up and join in!

Ceramic Brakes doing my head in.

moonstone

Tyre Kicker
Drives
Audi R8 V10+ • Taycan GTS
Got a weird problem. Normally brakes on these types of car get noisey if they’re not being pushed hard enough. Standard advice for low speed brake squeal is to go for a hard drive and given the brakes a good bit of high speed use.

I’ve got the opposite problem. Brakes are really noisey after a good blast and squeal when driving slowing, especially when cornering, without actually applying the brake!

Ive ordered some ant-squeal and I’ll do the backs of the pads but any experience or ideas?

Senna11

Racing Driver
Unfortunately not. Always steered clear of ceramics as just too expensive if they go wrong. Might be worth discussing with the dealership?

moonstone

Tyre Kicker
Drives
Unfortunately not. Always steered clear of ceramics as just too expensive if they go wrong. Might be worth discussing with the dealership?

Researched it to death and it’s all “normal”. Washed the car and the problem disappears again. I reckon I’ll fit the anti-squeal paste and see how it goes.

Dealers are bloody hopeless with this stuff.

Senna11

Racing Driver
Researched it to death and it’s all “normal”. Washed the car and the problem disappears again. I reckon I’ll fit the anti-squeal paste and see how it goes.

Dealers are bloody hopeless with this stuff.
Copper slip on the pads should cure it.

boba fett

Racing Driver
Drives
320d
I’ve had ceramics on a couple of cars, they look lovely, but the first I have done is remove them for a set of steels. I only put them back on come sale time. The squealing I found had no rhyme or reason.

They are a pain, not really great for road use, noisy, fragile and more importantly stupid money to replace. Really only viable for track work. But like I said they look really nice.

you can just replace the discs and pads with steels, as I believe they do the discs for the BMWs

moonstone

Tyre Kicker
Drives
I’ve had ceramics on a couple of cars, they look lovely, but the first I have done is remove them for a set of steels. I only put them back on come sale time. The squealing I found had no rhyme or reason.

They are a pain, not really great for road use, noisy, fragile and more importantly stupid money to replace. Really only viable for track work. But like I said they look really nice.

you can just replace the discs and pads with steels, as I believe they do the discs for the BMWs

I wouldn't go to those lengths. They brake booster is different on the CCB so that would need to be changed too, and I like the lack of brake dust. I'm just genuinely astounded to have brakes that actually squeal when you're not even using them!

I've bought a tube of this stuff. Will report back!

71GYDiWGKTL._AC_SL1500_.jpg

Last edited:

Ennoch

Boy Racer
Drives
BMW F31 335D
Did you get this fixed? If it's happening with the brakes not being applied it sounds like the pads are loose in the caliper which they'll probably need to be to allow them to expand at full temperature. The pads on my AP's are like that but they quieten down when hot. There are a few things you can try which may help; most Porsches come with sticky back inserts that then clip into the inside of the pistons. If the pistons on your calipers are hollow then you could give them a try as they'll stop the pads falling back onto the rotors with cornering. Or, and it's not quite as effective, you can get high temp double sided tape which you can apply a strip of to the back of the pad which will again help keep the pads off the rotors when not being used.

moonstone

Tyre Kicker
Drives
No. It went away for ages so I didn't do anything about it but has come back with a vengeance!

I'm of the same opinion as yourself that the one or more pads might be loose in the caliper. There's an M4 thread on another forum (cant remember what one is. Might be Bimmerpost but I'm not sure) where someone fitted the Porsche inserts and it cured it. So I've ordered these and am waiting for them to arrive.

The baffling thing is that all the advice about not braking hard enough and having to go for a few hard stops is the opposite here. That behaviour has no effect and generally is what causes the problem in the first place. So I'm wondering if there is some kind of backing on the pads that is failing when they get hot, like glue melting for example.

Once I have the inserts I'm going to take the calipers off and clean them out, fit the inserts and apply the liqui moly to the edges of the pads for at the same time. As I really don't to have to do this job twice.

Hoping that cures it as it's so loud at the minute that it's really quite embarrassing!

moonstone

Tyre Kicker
Drives
Got an email to tell me a couple of the Porsche shims are on back order and I couldn’t put up with the noise any longer so I decided to tackle this today.

I took the callipers off and removed the pads from each. Each pad has loads of life left and aside from a few pits, there was nothing obvious on the pad material itself. However the backing plate had plenty of rust and some of the black paint was bubbling so I took a wire brush to all of these places.

Then I applied the Liqui Moly anti-squeal to the edges of the pads where they sit in the callipers and to the backing plate where the pistons make contact.

Did the same for both sides, took the car for a test drive and the squeal is gone.

So either all that work did the trick….

…or the small stone that dropped out behind the brake disc shield on the inside when I took the calliper off was the culprit all along!

Let’s see how it goes!

EvilDrPorkChop

Test Pilot
Drives
Porsche Cayman
Bastarding brake noise is back. Here’s hoping those Porsche shims work when they arrive.
Totally silent until a spirited drive and now back as bad as ever.
Anything like that does your head in doesn't it. We had a rattling Pan Roof in our Mini, in the end I made them replace the Sun Roof.

moonstone

Tyre Kicker
Drives
Anything like that does your head in doesn'thttps://www.deutschespeed.com/threads/moonstones-f90-m5.424/ it. We had a rattling Pan Roof in our Mini, in the end I made them replace the Sun Roof.

Yeah I start listening out for these kind of things and it ruins it for me.

I’m going to try bedding the brakes. See if this helps.

1647375997119.jpeg

boba fett

Racing Driver
Drives
320d
This is quite a common trait with carbon brakes. I had them on my 997 Turbo and they used to squeal, everyone used to turn and look for the wrong reasons!

I took them off and put Big reds on, squealing gone, not worries about damaging my expensive Carbon Discs, and to be honest on the road probably worked better!

I put them back on when I sold the car !

moonstone

Tyre Kicker
Drives
I took the car out a run last night and hammered it. Stopping from 85 to 20 on an empty motorway. It’s helped but hadn’t cured it.

I’m still waiting on the Porsche shims but after wondering how much a new set of pads would be I checked in with Cotswolds and they said BMW had one set left in the UK and I could have them for £365 so snapped them up.

The existing pads have some pits and cracks so I’ll fit the new ones with the Porsche shims.

if that doesn’t cure it, nothing will.

moonstone

Tyre Kicker
Drives
Dropped my wife and her mum and sister j to town today and reg brakes were horrendous. Car sounded like and old bus. So bad that when I got home I fitted the new pads. It’s a marked improvement but still random squeals but at least it’s not constant.

Once the Porsche shims finally arrive I’ll stick them on as well and hopefully that gets rid of the noise once and for all.

Pads looked pretty shagged:

A5F9ECAE-CC29-4A13-BDF4-00A42C86B2EA.jpeg4A812797-FA18-4139-A071-9F34DC493694.jpeg2E569A2C-3E88-4CB1-BAD1-E05BE6037F46.jpeg4EFFA3EA-DB1D-4A4B-BB4C-C06B201507AB.jpeg

moonstone

Tyre Kicker
Drives
Beginning to think this whole issue is caused by brake dust. Noise was unbearable today on the way home from work. I jet washed around everything and the sounds gone. It’ll come back though!

Senna11

Racing Driver
Didn’t think you got much brake dust with ceramics. Not much brake dust at all with regen on EV:cool:

Senna11

Racing Driver
Beginning to think this whole issue is caused by brake dust. Noise was unbearable today on the way home from work. I jet washed around everything and the sounds gone. It’ll come back though!
If they continue to make noise, I would swap out for normal discs and then replace when you come to sell.