Audi, Mercedes, Porsche, BMW Forum

Welcome to Deutschespeed.com the newly launched community for German Performance car lovers. The site is in it's launch phase at the moment and so content and membership is small (but growing). Soon we'll have competition prizes and and a live ad campaign to help build the community. If you'd like to be apart of what's going on, sign up and join in!

Do you consider the Audi TTRS to be a Supercar

boba fett

Racing Driver
Drives
320d
Not on your nelly for me, but whats your thoughts as it would appear some do!

I think it needs to shrug off its girly image to be considered as a mans alternative Sports car first in many peoples eye's!

Denso

Chief Engineer
Drives
E46 M3 Ruby 1 of 6, Audi TTRS Vorsprung
Absolutely not, fully agree with you. I dont see an M4CSL as a super car either.

Denso

Denso

Chief Engineer
Drives
Just seen the reason for your post on another popular forum and sadly the OP is a tad optimistic in his view ;)

Denso

boba fett

Racing Driver
Drives
320d
Absolutely not, fully agree with you. I dont see an M4CSL as a super car either.

Denso

Agree, its just a sup'd up 4 series. To most it will look like its just fallen off the Scalextric track!

A Supercar does not have to be the fastest thing either, it just has to be bespoke, a bit mad, expensive, desirable, exclusive and turn most heads!

Burnsey

Chief Engineer
Drives
2023 G80 M3 Competition X-Drive
They're a cracking little car and one a few are tinkering with, so it's good to see those folk happy.

But I've had three in the family, kept them stock and sold them as and when.

The cosmetic upgrades are what we do I suppose, and they look funky and a little more individual, but I wouldn't be spending a sausage on trying to improve performance.

boba fett

Racing Driver
Drives
320d
They're a cracking little car and one a few are tinkering with, so it's good to see those folk happy.

But I've had three in the family, kept them stock and sold them as and when.

The cosmetic upgrades are what we do I suppose, and they look funky and a little more individual, but I wouldn't be spending a sausage on trying to improve performance.

Mines a nippy little thing, its really good fun, off the blocks its quite a weapon, and even better round the twisties with its gearing as well. I think its a bit quicker than the standard RS's I have driven.

The TTRS @ stage 1+ circa 480+ has supercar performance!

Denso

Chief Engineer
Drives
Mine is running 420bhp and is a weapon. Thats why i upgraded the brakes, suspension and exhaust at the same time as the engine upgrades. I will be selling it this year not because i want too as its a great wee car, but i am off to Brunei for 18 months in May and someone is going to land a well sorted car for not much money.

Denso

Dean540c

Tyre Kicker
Drives
Audi TT, McLaren 540c
It's an awesome car, and I turn my head on the rare occasion that I see one. But as far as super car goes for me, I'm afraid not.

Dean540c

Tyre Kicker
Drives
Audi TT, McLaren 540c
Welcome to the forum Dean, we need Pics of your cars please !!
Thank you, it's a pleasure to be here! And of course! I'll get some pictures of my TT in the morning when it's daylight, my McLaren'll have to be at some point in the future as in typical McLaren fashion, it's currently on holiday at the Leeds service centre for repairs 😂

boba fett

Racing Driver
Drives
320d
Thank you, it's a pleasure to be here! And of course! I'll get some pictures of my TT in the morning when it's daylight, my McLaren'll have to be at some point in the future as in typical McLaren fashion, it's currently on holiday at the Leeds service centre for repairs 😂

look forward to the pictures. Has the Mac been a pleasurable ownership, or proving costly?

Dean540c

Tyre Kicker
Drives
Audi TT, McLaren 540c
look forward to the pictures. Has the Mac been a pleasurable ownership, or proving costly?
Honestly, it's proving to be a nightmare, and this is 5 months in.
I bought the car in September of last year, 2019 plate with 9.5k miles on the clock, with roughly 14.5k clocked up now. The car made its first trip to the service sensor last week as a flashing CEL popped up when I was driving a few weeks back, and ever since the car has had a random, multiple cylinder misfire.

Oh, on top of that, when its cold outside (anything below around 4c), the infotainment system ceases to function, as do the electric seats. This doesn't sound as if it would be a giant issue, but when you open the door the drivers seat goes to the furthest position to ease exiting the vehicle. If it's cold and you go to get in, good look reaching the pedals until the cars warmed up and the electric seats are working 😂

I love the car, the styling is perfect, the drive quality is a dream, but the reliability is a nightmare, and not what you'd expect of a 6 figure car, especially this early into its life and my ownership. Prior to the Mac I had a gen 1 Audi R8 from 2008 with around 90k on the clock, aside from a few broken interior trim pieces, the car was a dream, it never caused me any issues whatsoever. I'm already contemplating swapping the Mac for a gen 2 R8, and the extra time I have had to enjoy my TT whilst the McLaren is in for repairs is really pushing me closer to pulling the trigger on that decision.

I don't think I'd recommend one to anyone, unless they already had several cars of its status and wanted a garage queen that they could drive every once in a while, or track twice a year. Aside from that, I think it'd be too much of a headache for anyone to enjoy long term.

boba fett

Racing Driver
Drives
320d
Honestly, it's proving to be a nightmare, and this is 5 months in.
I bought the car in September of last year, 2019 plate with 9.5k miles on the clock, with roughly 14.5k clocked up now. The car made its first trip to the service sensor last week as a flashing CEL popped up when I was driving a few weeks back, and ever since the car has had a random, multiple cylinder misfire.

Oh, on top of that, when its cold outside (anything below around 4c), the infotainment system ceases to function, as do the electric seats. This doesn't sound as if it would be a giant issue, but when you open the door the drivers seat goes to the furthest position to ease exiting the vehicle. If it's cold and you go to get in, good look reaching the pedals until the cars warmed up and the electric seats are working 😂

I love the car, the styling is perfect, the drive quality is a dream, but the reliability is a nightmare, and not what you'd expect of a 6 figure car, especially this early into its life and my ownership. Prior to the Mac I had a gen 1 Audi R8 from 2008 with around 90k on the clock, aside from a few broken interior trim pieces, the car was a dream, it never caused me any issues whatsoever. I'm already contemplating swapping the Mac for a gen 2 R8, and the extra time I have had to enjoy my TT whilst the McLaren is in for repairs is really pushing me closer to pulling the trigger on that decision.

I don't think I'd recommend one to anyone, unless they already had several cars of its status and wanted a garage queen that they could drive every once in a while, or track twice a year. Aside from that, I think it'd be too much of a headache for anyone to enjoy long term.
Oh, that sounds like a mare, you are not alone, I know of others who have them (or given up on them) it appears you can’t have one out of warranty at very least!

The Mac is one brand that leaves me cold, they all look the same to me. I know they are supposed to be nice to drive, but I have never lusted after one.

got any pictures?

Dean540c

Tyre Kicker
Drives
Audi TT, McLaren 540c
To be honest, it's an absolute mare. I have a feeling that I'll be amongst those you know who's given up on them before much longer.

I agree that they all look somewhat the same, it's very difficult to distinguish one model from another, even though the price could be vastly different. Though, I do think they all look pretty spectacular, especially compared with similar priced alternatives, R8, 911 etc. I think the similarities would annoy me more if I was towards the higher end of the price spectrum, rather than the lower end.

I'll have a look through my phone and see what pictures I have when I get chance, if not I'll get some once the car is returned to me. I'm really not too heavy into taking pictures usually 😂

boba fett

Racing Driver
Drives
320d
I'm really not too heavy into taking pictures usually 😂

That's the mirror opposite of me!

I've got a Ferrari and that's costly to run if things go wrong or some big ticket items need doing so I feel your pain.

Look forward to some pictures though.

Dean540c

Tyre Kicker
Drives
Audi TT, McLaren 540c
That's the mirror opposite of me!

I've got a Ferrari and that's costly to run if things go wrong or some big ticket items need doing so I feel your pain.

Look forward to some pictures though.
Would you recommend Ferrari? I haven't really considered one as an alternative as I'd be worried about the out of the frying pan into the fire scenario, as I've heard they have some issues as well. I'm not sure which Ferrari you have, but the 488 would be of particular interest to me.

The obvious choices I've considered are a gen 2 R8, or a early Huracan. Both VAG, so I'd imagine they're fairly standardised and not impossible to work on yourself. I don't need to work on my own cars, but I do enjoy it, and having something that feels virtually impossible without dealer level diagnostic equipment is definitely a turn off for me.