Audi, Mercedes, Porsche, BMW Forum

Welcome to Deutschespeed.com the newly launched community for German Performance car lovers. The site is in it's launch phase at the moment and so content and membership is small (but growing). Soon we'll have competition prizes and and a live ad campaign to help build the community. If you'd like to be apart of what's going on, sign up and join in!

Do you consider the Audi TTRS to be a Supercar

boba fett

Racing Driver
Drives
320d
Would you recommend Ferrari? I haven't really considered one as an alternative as I'd be worried about the out of the frying pan into the fire scenario, as I've heard they have some issues as well. I'm not sure which Ferrari you have, but the 488 would be of particular interest to me.

The obvious choices I've considered are a gen 2 R8, or a early Huracan. Both VAG, so I'd imagine they're fairly standardised and not impossible to work on yourself. I don't need to work on my own cars, but I do enjoy it, and having something that feels virtually impossible without dealer level diagnostic equipment is definitely a turn off for me.

Well a Ferrari is a Ferrari!! The 488 is a lovely car, however they are just starting to show there issues as the miles climb and they age. Lots of owners now changing out for the more easier to maintain and cheaper to run 360, 430 and 458 (use the term cheaper to run loosely) because of the rocker cover gaskets leaking and a £20k+ repair job. Its a common problem on them as well, as the engines run hot, they go brittle with miles, crack and leak giving you a lovely whiff of burning oil every time you stop at a junction and bleeding on your drive! This 488 issue is an expensive engine out job and not covered under Warranty!

I think Ferrari's generally have less issues and are less expensive to fix than Macs, but are still very expensive to run and by parts. For me, however, no other car comes close to the drama, noise, feel and excitement and its worth the stretch!

I don't get the Lambo thing of late and they have lost their appeal to me, the last real Lambo for me was the Merci, and nearly all nowadays are just R8's and QR8's in sharp suits! The Youff like them though!

An R8 is a good car, its got everything, except the badge, the pedigree and pompous circumstance. Its the clever mans choice!

Last edited:

Frizzley

Tyre Kicker
Drives
TTS Roaster
Enjoying the insights this thread is providing on the the realities of true supercar ownership. They look gorgeous, sound amazing but clearly not so good for the old bank balance should they go wrong.

closest I’ve ever been to one is my brothers old Lambo which was probably the most impractical car I’ve ever been in. Needed loads of space, respect in the wet, £3k for a service and he was always worried whenever he left it anywhere. He had it less than a year and in that time broke down and had to be taken away on a low loader twice.

In comparison my TTRS was amazing value for the money, practical and something that could be used everyday. Super car it wasn’t and never will be but it’s the sportiest car I‘m ever likely to own or be able to buy, and it always managed to put a smile on my face.

Couple my of pics of the Lambo for you Boba as think you may like the colour

B12DC860-FBD6-4F6D-BC5B-01D5A3ADDF36.jpegBC59B446-832D-44C2-8856-3DB96B442708.jpeg448CBC3D-1FA4-46CE-93C4-CCBBBAB3CDCB.jpeg

Last edited:

Dean540c

Tyre Kicker
Drives
Audi TT, McLaren 540c
Well a Ferrari is a Ferrari!! The 488 is a lovely car, however they are just starting to show there issues as the miles climb and they age. Lots of owners now changing out for the more easier to maintain and cheaper to run 360, 430 and 458 (use the term cheaper to run loosely) because of the rocker cover gaskets leaking and a £20k+ repair job. Its a common problem on them as well, as the engines run hot, they go brittle with miles, crack and leak giving you a lovely whiff of burning oil every time you stop at a junction and bleeding on your drive! This 488 issue is an expensive engine out job and not covered under Warranty!

I think Ferrari's generally have less issues and are less expensive to fix than Macs, but are still very expensive to run and by parts. For me, however, no other car comes close to the drama, noise, feel and excitement and its worth the stretch!

I don't get the Lambo thing of late and they have lost their appeal to me, the last real Lambo for me was the Merci, and nearly all nowadays are just R8's and QR8's in sharp suits! The Youff like them though!

An R8 is a good car, its got everything, except the badge, the pedigree and pompous circumstance. Its the clever mans choice!
Thanks for the information re. Ferrari, it's really interesting to know and I'll definitely look further into the various models when the time comes to part with my Mac. They're beautiful looking cars, I can't say a whole lot more about them than that at the time being as I've never been in one. The reliability doesn't sound too bad either, relatively speaking anyways.

Honestly, perhaps Lambo appeal to me because I'm only young myself (22), and I won't sit and play ignorant and pretend that I think the're a level above their R8 siblings, they're absolutely not. But, as @Frizzley mentioned, we're driving just about the most impractical class of car there is, and for me personally, if I'm having to deal with the shortcomings of supercar ownership, I'd like a brand with true recognition as a supercar brand, rather than one that's recognised as making practical, reliable and borderline luxury family cars. That's far too sensible for me 😂

Don't get me wrong, I do love the R8 and it probably is the biggest candidate to replace the Mac at the moment, but I can't help but feel that it would be a downgrade in every way, reliability aside of course. The gen 1 I had wasn't all too impressive either, though I suspect the gen 2 has improved a lot. The R-Tronic gearbox should've been branded the R-Chronic, that was awful. The steering and manoeuvrability of the car was quite poor as well, again relatively speaking. The Mac isn't anywhere near as manoeuvrable as a Corsa D 😂

Dean540c

Tyre Kicker
Drives
Audi TT, McLaren 540c
Enjoying the insights this thread is providing on the the realities of true supercar ownership. They look gorgeous, sound amazing but clearly not so good for the old bank balance should they go wrong.

closest I’ve ever been to one is my brothers old Lambo which was probably the most impractical car I’ve ever been in. Needed loads of space, respect in the wet, £3k for a service and he was always worried whenever he left it anywhere. He had it less than a year and in that time broke down and had to be taken away on a low loader twice.

In comparison my TTRS was amazing value for the money, practical and something that could be used everyday. Super car it wasn’t and never will be but it’s the sportiest car I‘m ever likely to own or be able to buy, and it always managed to put a smile on my face.

View attachment 2957View attachment 2958View attachment 2959
That's beautiful, what a beast!

The experience you shared about your brother's Lambo pretty much sums up supercar ownership, particularly the respect in the wet side, an inch too far on the gas pedal can send you sliding across a three lane motorway if you're in the wrong gear. I think you get used to that fairly quickly though, it's really not the be all and end all.

The biggest issue for me is, like you mentioned, reliability. I can't speak for all supercar brands, I'd imagine the gen 2 R8 is pretty solid, as is the Huracan as it's essentially the same drivetrain. Aside from those, I'm not particularly sure where I'd go for reliability. Certainly NOT McLaren though 🤣

The TTRS seem to be great cars, my only criticism would be that I'm not sure whether or not the price difference between the RS and the S is justified. I've heard mixed reviews on this, but the general answer I tend to hear is that its not. Still an awesome car nonetheless though! I can't help myself but ask if you have any pictures of your old RS?

Frizzley

Tyre Kicker
Drives
TTS Roaster
That's beautiful, what a beast!

The experience you shared about your brother's Lambo pretty much sums up supercar ownership, particularly the respect in the wet side, an inch too far on the gas pedal can send you sliding across a three lane motorway if you're in the wrong gear. I think you get used to that fairly quickly though, it's really not the be all and end all.

The biggest issue for me is, like you mentioned, reliability. I can't speak for all supercar brands, I'd imagine the gen 2 R8 is pretty solid, as is the Huracan as it's essentially the same drivetrain. Aside from those, I'm not particularly sure where I'd go for reliability. Certainly NOT McLaren though 🤣

The TTRS seem to be great cars, my only criticism would be that I'm not sure whether or not the price difference between the RS and the S is justified. I've heard mixed reviews on this, but the general answer I tend to hear is that its not. Still an awesome car nonetheless though! I can't help myself but ask if you have any pictures of your old RS?
Heres a couple from when I had it detailed and another when I originally picked it up

82CA7A68-184B-4522-89B2-DE2E69153519.jpeg74AA2DCC-BA57-4402-88FA-134888BC9631.jpegFEEC8B41-8B17-43FC-9506-0752FAA2D407.jpegD9CD85FD-8BA2-41EA-A4A1-5E7DEF18B518.jpegDED41393-92A5-49F5-9415-707C52ABE0D9.jpeg

boba fett

Racing Driver
Drives
320d

View attachment 2957View attachment 2958View attachment 2959

Oh dear, I’m off to the toilet, and may need to leave the tap running!

boba fett

Racing Driver
Drives
320d

There has been some healthy discussions on TTRS vs TTS worth on another forum, and some times it just boils down to people defending what they have their rotational, and choice. Mine view is simple I want an RS because its the best and most desirable one. Its like Rolex vs Tudor.

Having said that, it is a considerably more money to get into an RS over a TTS, and what I have done to mine, the spec, colour and the way its looks, its harder for me to justify, especially when most of the TTRS's I would consider have not got the options mine has.

Maybe the right one will come along and ill pull the trigger!

Burnsey

Chief Engineer
Drives
2023 G80 M3 Competition X-Drive
The TT's on here seem to be being cosmetic modded to within an inch of their life - no mention of quarter mile runs or suchlike...

Not an insult - that is my interest in cars - how they look and can be improved. And the owners here are creating stunning motors.

But they're no supercar.

boba fett

Racing Driver
Drives
320d
When I went to go pick up my wheels from Gogs on the TT forum, this is exactly what he had parked in his drive. I love everything about it. Colour the lot.

I agree it is lovely, can you get a late RS without the Alcantara interior, don't think I have seen one with just leather?

moonstone

Tyre Kicker
Drives
Audi R8 V10+ • Taycan GTS
I agree it is lovely, can you get a late RS without the Alcantara interior, don't think I have seen one with just leather?

Yes. His was leather with blue stitching. I don’t think RSs come with alcantara. The later ones have the hexagon stitch rather than the diamond pattern.

moonstone

Tyre Kicker
Drives
The issue I have is that there’s not a big enough gap in experience from my current TTS (which is bought outright and costs me nothing) and having to add a chunk of cash or finance for a TTRS. Not to mention completely discarding all the stuff I’ve done to it.

I keep looking at them on Autotrader but then remember that “mission creep” is kicking in. I.e I had a budget of £25k for a weekend toy to complement a big saloon and do some mods to.

So unless I really have a moment of madness, no matter how much window shopping I do, I’ll stick to what I have.

I think I’m more likely to stick a TTRS front bumper on mine.

Frizzley

Tyre Kicker
Drives
TTS Roaster
The issue I have is that there’s not a big enough gap in experience from my current TTS (which is bought outright and costs me nothing) and having to add a chunk of cash or finance for a TTRS. Not to mention completely discarding all the stuff I’ve done to it.

I keep looking at them on Autotrader but then remember that “mission creep” is kicking in. I.e I had a budget of £25k for a weekend toy to complement a big saloon and do some mods to.

So unless I really have a moment of madness, no matter how much window shopping I do, I’ll stick to what I have.

Pragmatic approach 😀

boba fett

Racing Driver
Drives
320d

I completely understand and get that, I am the same, its just the want of the best model that's pushing me into one. The car itself is not that different. Its not like going S5 to RS5 which are completely different to look at and justifiably different to pay the premium for.

moonstone

Tyre Kicker
Drives
I completely understand and get that, I am the same, it’s just the want of the best model that's pushing me into one. The car itself is not that different. It’s not like going S5 to RS5 which are completely different to look at and justifiably different to pay the premium for.

I get that as well. It’s nice to have the halo version. But you’re right, no wider body like the RS5, M3 etc. Cosmetically it’s just a slightly different front and and rear and exhaust tips.

Denso

Chief Engineer
Drives
E46 M3 Ruby 1 of 6, Audi TTRS Vorsprung
The TT's on here seem to be being cosmetic modded to within an inch of their life - no mention of quarter mile runs or suchlike...

Not an insult - that is my interest in cars - how they look and can be improved. And the owners here are creating stunning motors.

But they're no supercar.

I had mine at Santa pod last year with the stage 2+ mods done but unfortunately had a problem with the map causing the car to fall off boost at the higher end. If i can make it this year, i will definitely get it back on the strip. Still no super car though, just a sorted TTS.

61D3AC62-4C59-4E88-A5A7-0936F540525C.jpeg

Denso