Audi, Mercedes, Porsche, BMW Forum

Welcome to Deutschespeed.com the newly launched community for German Performance car lovers. The site is in it's launch phase at the moment and so content and membership is small (but growing). Soon we'll have competitions and much more. If you'd like to be apart of what's going on, sign up and join in!

Looking at possible M5 replacements.

moonstone

Tyre Kicker
Drives
Audi R8 V10+ • Taycan GTS
The M5 can't be beaten for what it is - a fat fast saloon, so you have to change big I've found and not sure the M3 does it.

I don't want to go to two seats, or two useless seats, so I really am finding it a problem, making me think I'll keep it, but get another fun car alongside it - we've been here before haven't we :D

My wife doesn't drive, so two cars is a bit of a luxury.

My wife does but she doesn't get to drive either of mine! I'm in the "keep a big beast and have a weekend fun car camp". I've got a Taycan GTS replacing the M5 in 12-18 months so it makes even more sense for me to have a ICE car to have fun in after that. Especially when it's one that's not very expensive.

Been out in the M5 again tonight on a wee errand with my youngest, all slow moving traffic. Again, not a peep out of the brakes. I cannot overstate how happy I am about this. It was really starting to ruin the car for me.

Burnsey

Chief Engineer
Drives
2023 G80 M3 Competition X-Drive
I’ve heard TTS’s are quite fun little weekend cars?

It's the other way round mate. The M5 will be the weekend car - kids/touring etc., so something daily for me I fancy.

Burnsey

Chief Engineer
Drives
My wife does but she doesn't get to drive either of mine! I'm in the "keep a big beast and have a weekend fun car camp". I've got a Taycan GTS replacing the M5 in 12-18 months so it makes even more sense for me to have a ICE car to have fun in after that. Especially when it's one that's not very expensive.

Been out in the M5 again tonight on a wee errand with my youngest, all slow moving traffic. Again, not a peep out of the brakes. I cannot overstate how happy I am about this. It was really starting to ruin the car for me.

Mine are cured with a few stomps and away we go. I appreciate there's another thread and yours seem to have caused massive issues.

moonstone

Tyre Kicker
Drives
Mine are cured with a few stomps and away we go. I appreciate there's another thread and yours seem to have caused massive issues.

Thats the general consensus with all M brakes, which is why my concerns were pretty much being dismissed from all camps but it looks like mine has all been down to a stuck pad on the rear all along.

Last edited:

Burnsey

Chief Engineer
Drives
Thats the general consensus with all M brakes, which is why my concerns were pretty much being dismissed for all camps but it looks like mine has all been down to a stuck pad on the rear all along.

Glad you've sorted it, but validates my point about modern day BMW techs - not great! In the old days, a mechanic would source the problem and try to sort it. Now, unless it's in a manual, you're knackered!!!

Shame it's spoiled your enjoyment of the car. I do like mine (not love it), but it's blooming big. Now I've crossed the 3 year line, it is stick or twist and I may just stick and look for fun elsewhere. Mate has the new LWB 7 seat Range and it is like an arctic - H U G E - and he lives in the over populated metropolis, also known as London.

moonstone

Tyre Kicker
Drives
Glad you've sorted it, but validates my point about modern day BMW techs - not great! In the old days, a mechanic would source the problem and try to sort it. Now, unless it's ina manual, you're knackered!!!

Shame it's spoiled your enjoyment of the car. I do like mine (not love it), but it's blooming big. Now I've crossed the 3 year line, it is stick or twist and I may just stick and look for fun elsewhere. Mate has the new LWB 7 seat Range and it is like an arctic - H U G E - and he lives in the over populated metropolis, also known as London.

Very very difficult to beat the M5 pound-for-pound. If I’d gone for that M3 above I’d go from being owed £10k in positive equity to owing £10k in negative equity. New and shiny is always tempting but financially it would make no sense what-so-ever.

If you’re of a mind to supplement yours with something else, there’s plenty of great cars that would be a good counterpoint to it and with your M5 being paid off, it makes sense to keep a hold of it. My brakes were embarrassing me around town but on a twisty road or a motorway I absolutely adore it.

Burnsey

Chief Engineer
Drives
Hopefully, your remaining ownership will give you loads of fun mate!

Agreed with the opinions to add a fun car, but that's another thread if I'm keeping the M5, so I'll bugger off this one :LOL:

moonstone

Tyre Kicker
Drives
Well after being out on the TTS earlier and then being a bit bored I thought bugger it and took the M5 out to play. Not a peep out the brakes. So I guess case closed!