Audi, Mercedes, Porsche, BMW Forum

Welcome to Deutschespeed.com the newly launched community for German Performance car lovers. The site is in it's launch phase at the moment and so content and membership is small (but growing). Soon we'll have competition prizes and and a live ad campaign to help build the community. If you'd like to be apart of what's going on, sign up and join in!

Build Moonstones Neptune Blue Taycan GTS

Doing a build thread? Highlight it!

moonstone

Tyre Kicker
Drives
Audi R8 V10+ • Taycan GTS
Been a bit of a mental couple of weeks on this subject. Porsche has a major issue with the heater on these cars. So does Audi and Jaguar. They all use the same unit made by a company called Webasto. They're failing in their thousands. This has now affected production. With my car that was due to arrive at the end of the month, now being pushed back to June/July. That has connotations on the cost as the finance rate is due to go from 7.9% to 10.9% at the end of this month.

So I've been up and down with this. But have just been offered a cancelled order that is nearly the same spec but in Neptune blue.

So I pick it up this weekend...!

Denso

Chief Engineer
Drives
E46 M3 Ruby 1 of 6, Audi TTRS Vorsprung
Great news, get the collection pictures posted. Saw a silver one yesterday on my walk into the office. The crossturismo looks is great on the eye. Really looking forward on your feedback once you have driven it for a month or 2.

Denso

moonstone

Tyre Kicker
Drives
Oh wow, sleepless night it is then?

Googled the colour, looks lovely and really suits the car. What did you originally order?

I originally ordered Carmine Red. Which I still think is the nicer colour of the two to be honest but I'd rather have a blue one now then a red one in 4/5 months that costs an extra 200 quid a month in interest.

StuartK

Chief Engineer
Congratulations, I'm sure it will be a fantastic car, looking at some of the options it still amazes me what Porsche can get away omitting as standard spec on a £100K+ car.
Customers put up with it then they will continue to abuse their customers.

moonstone

Tyre Kicker
Drives
I’m intrigued because of the three quotes (yes only three) returned on compare the market the cheapest was £5500 for us.

Insurance quote comparisons are meaningless between people as there’s just so many variables that are taken into account. I worked in car insurance for a brief stint around 20 years ago and the way quotes are calculated are a bit bonkers. My own price is nothing like that. It’s only marginally dearer than the M5 was in my case.

Denso

Chief Engineer
Drives
E46 M3 Ruby 1 of 6, Audi TTRS Vorsprung
Lovely mate, looks a cracker.

Denso

boba fett

Racing Driver
Drives
320d
Very nice indeed. Enjoy.

Really looking forward to your thoughts on the car.

moonstone

Tyre Kicker
Drives
6E2246E2-49ED-4DA5-8915-EEFB795346FA.jpeg
it’s a strange colour to photograph is this. I might just be trying to convince myself but the black, blue and red caliper combo might be a better choice than my original Carmine Red.

Washed it today. Not that it was very dirty but it was covered in fingerprints. I also like washing a car as a good way to get to know it’s shape and all it’s nooks and crannies.

I’m glad I kept knocking back the dealer on their Gtechniq application. For one, they didn’t really seem to know exactly what is was and two the wax application on the car was very patchy. So I washed the TTS and this and then applied a thorough coat of Soft99 Fusso Coat. Bought it ages ago but hardly really used it because the TTS and M5 were ceramic coated.

I’ve got a bottle of Gtechniq Exo that I’ll coat the wheels with but I really couldn’t be bothered today. With the wheel design being what it is, this would be a job in itself so I’ll leave that for another day.

First impressions of the car are that it is incredibly well screwed together. Everything feels very tight. The drive is similar to the M5 in terms of power, with that car being slightly quicker on the 0-60 but it’s the instant shove of torque you get with this that makes it very different. There’s no turbo lag so it just feels like a car that’s constantly in a gear lower than it needs to be with instant power delivery. The car is wide but it shrinks around you. I’m pretty sure it weighs the same as an aircraft carrier but I can’t feel it when driving and it sticks to the to the road like glue.

It came shod with Goodyear Eagle F1s. A tyre I’ve never had in my life so we’ll see how I get on with those.

Oh and Ive ordered wheel spacers. The factory stance is criminal!

Last edited:

boba fett

Racing Driver
Drives
320d
I think its looks very nice in that combo, I am interested in things like missing the noise?

moonstone

Tyre Kicker
Drives
I think its looks very nice in that combo, I am interested in things like missing the noise?

Oh there’s noise. It’s just weird noise! The GTS model has a more aggressive sound than the others in the range.

It’s never going to sound like a V8 but it is quite nice.

moonstone

Tyre Kicker
Drives
Here's a comparison between my original spec and the car I ultimately ended up with.

Original Factory OrderCar I ended up with
Carmine RedNeptune Blue
GTS interior package in Carmine RedGTS interior package in Crayon
Adaptive Sports Seats Plus (18-Way, electric) with memory packageYes
4+1 SeatsYes
Electric folding Exterior MirrorsYes
Model Designation painted in Black (high-gloss)No (badge is on order though so kinda yes)
21-inch RS Spyder Design wheels in satin blackYes
LED Matrix Main Headlights Glacier Iceblue including Porsche Dynamic Light System
Plus (PDLS Plus)
Yes (but without the ice blue colour)
Light Strip with 'PORSCHE' Logo Glacier IceblueNo (standard logo in black instead)
Automatically dimming exterior and interior mirrorsNo - Bit of a strange one to leave off the options sheet especially for the cost.
Panoramic Roof, fixedYes
Windscreen with Grey Top-TintNo
Privacy GlassYes
ParkAssist including Surround ViewYes
Comfort AccessNo - But the car has it anyway! Not sure what's going on there.
Ambient LightingNo! - Again a strange omission given it's only a couple of hundred quid, but its not extensive in the Taycan anyway. I will miss this but it's far too much hassle to retrofit so I'll just need to live with it.
Sport Chrono stopwatch instrument dial in Carmine Red£500 Porsche Design clock instead! Why spec this instead of ambient lighting and dimming mirrors for the same price??
Motorised Charging PortsYes
Carbon matt Interior PackageYes
BOSE Surround Sound SystemYes
150kW on-board DC-DC converterNo (only specc'd this as it's cost neutral but it turns out it only really lets you use Tesla chargers. All the new tech is 300-350kw anyway.
Passenger DisplayNo - Originally ordered this for the bling! But it's pretty redundant to be honest so I'm not going to miss it.
Illuminated Matt Carbon Door SillsNo - Easily retrofitted though and on my list.
NEW - Gloss Black Door Handles. This is a cost option that I didn't spec before. Haven't made my mind up as to whether I actually like them or not.

bytejunkie

Tyre Kicker
Drives
B7 RS4, STR 675R
what is a motorised charging port? how does a charge port need a motor?
i just reliased as i typed that this isnt usb charging for your phone is it?

moonstone

Tyre Kicker
Drives
what is a motorised charging port? how does a charge port need a motor?
i just reliased as i typed that this isnt usb charging for your phone is it?

Charging port for charging the car. The standard one is like a normal fuel flap that you push and it springs out. The motorised ones have a bit of gloss black trim on them that you swipe and they open up like this:

StuartK

Chief Engineer
Insurance quote comparisons are meaningless between people as there’s just so many variables that are taken into account. I worked in car insurance for a brief stint around 20 years ago and the way quotes are calculated are a bit bonkers. My own price is nothing like that. It’s only marginally dearer than the M5 was in my case.
Being near Birmingham doesn’t help.