Audi, Mercedes, Porsche, BMW Forum

Welcome to Deutschespeed.com the newly launched community for German Performance car lovers. The site is in it's launch phase at the moment and so content and membership is small (but growing). Soon we'll have competition prizes and and a live ad campaign to help build the community. If you'd like to be apart of what's going on, sign up and join in!

Ordered a Model Y

MashinBenzin

Test Pilot
Drives
D5
After several months of prevarication on cashing in on the crazy residual on the Discovery, I’ve finally bitten the bullet on an EV.

After sitting in a Model Y and having a good look around it, I ordered one on Wednesday - a Long Range in midnight silver (grey) with 20” wheels and a black interior.

A couple of big selling points for the Tesla were availability (should be here in May, although on 19s it would have been July) and practicality - in particular boot and frunk space.

Near misses for the EV6 (26 week wait and boot too small) and the Enyaq (52 week wait!). For my tastes there is a lot to prefer about those two cars.

I’m under no illusions that it represents a downgrade in pretty much every area from my Discovery, this isn’t about getting a better car. Just one that is cheaper and better suited to the very limited and very urban miles that I do now. At 22mpg and (now) £150+ for 3/400 miles the Disco was also pricey to run.

Still excited by the Tesla despite its compromises, I’ve kind of wanted one since sitting in an S around 2013.

Senna11

Racing Driver
They look better in the flesh than on the screen I thought. Saw a few when I went to pick up my model 3. I did prefer the Polestar but the charging network isn’t as resolved as it is for Tesla. Turned up at a motorway services and 2 chargers for other cars and a bank of Tesla superchargers, most of them being used. Very slick process to charge though.

MashinBenzin

Test Pilot
Drives
D5
I like the view from behind of the single one I’ve seen on the road, but that was from the angle of a D5 driving seat. It’s not a beauty but I don’t mind the way Teslas look.

How are you getting in with the 3 and which spec is it? I’d have a 3 over a Y in most respects apart from boot space/access. I love SUVs but the Y is just a mild crossover.

Senna11

Racing Driver
I like the view from behind of the single one I’ve seen on the road, but that was from the angle of a D5 driving seat. It’s not a beauty but I don’t mind the way Teslas look.

How are you getting in with the 3 and which spec is it? I’d have a 3 over a Y in most respects apart from boot space/access. I love SUVs but the Y is just a mild crossover.
As a daily it’s really good, relaxing to drive. But the wiper controls should be on the stalk. The rear boot is huge but it would be even better if it was a hatch. I have the long range in grey with sport wheels and white interior. Coated it with leather protector.
Just fitted the Spigen screen protector (Amazon) and have performance pedals on order.

EvilDrPorkChop

Test Pilot
Drives
Porsche Cayman
Let’s hope they build you a good one @MashinBenzin 😉

Be interesting to see how you find it. After having a Macan last weekend I’d be very interested in an electric Macan in addition to my Cayman. My main issue we only have one car, and don’t think I could go fully electric with a range of 250 miles.

sahajesh

Test Pilot
Drives
X5 40i M Sport
Macabre EV is due out next year I think, that will be worth a look definitely (y)

SS13

Test Pilot
Drives
Porsche 930 turbo
After several months of prevarication on cashing in on the crazy residual on the Discovery, I’ve finally bitten the bullet on an EV.

After sitting in a Model Y and having a good look around it, I ordered one on Wednesday - a Long Range in midnight silver (grey) with 20” wheels and a black interior.

A couple of big selling points for the Tesla were availability (should be here in May, although on 19s it would have been July) and practicality - in particular boot and frunk space.

Near misses for the EV6 (26 week wait and boot too small) and the Enyaq (52 week wait!). For my tastes there is a lot to prefer about those two cars.

I’m under no illusions that it represents a downgrade in pretty much every area from my Discovery, this isn’t about getting a better car. Just one that is cheaper and better suited to the very limited and very urban miles that I do now. At 22mpg and (now) £150+ for 3/400 miles the Disco was also pricey to run.

Still excited by the Tesla despite its compromises, I’ve kind of wanted one since sitting in an S around 2013.
Did you consider the VW id4?

They look similar in size.

MashinBenzin

Test Pilot
Drives
D5
That one didn’t make my “look at list” but you’re right it would have been a logical one. Much prefer the Enyaq of the VAG cars on that platform. Or the ID Buzz but the wife had that filed under late mid-life crisis. Really like the ID Buzz….
Did you consider the VW id4?

They look similar in size.

Che

Test Pilot
Drives
R8 v10+
Congrats, I think Tesla make a really good case for an ev choice, look forward to seeing the pics 👍

TimMcC

Tyre Kicker
Drives
BMW i3S & Jaguar I-Pace

Well done! I've been expecting this for some time :)

The Rivian will be out in a few years and then you can have the best of both worlds.

MashinBenzin

Test Pilot
Drives
D5
Well done! I've been expecting this for some time :)

The Rivian will be out in a few years and then you can have the best of both worlds.
Cheers Tim. Was very tempted by the same iPace deal that you landed.

Now THAT, the Rivian, is an EV to be excited about as a D5 replacement

EvilDrPorkChop

Test Pilot
Drives
Porsche Cayman
Did you PCP, and if so what the PCP deals like on Tesla? I'm guessing it's a take it or leave it situation seeming you order all online.

MashinBenzin

Test Pilot
Drives
D5
Did you PCP, and if so what the PCP deals like on Tesla? I'm guessing it's a take it or leave it situation seeming you order all online.
Yeah, no such thing as a deal, just take the price. PCP rate is a high one at 5.9% but pretty much the going rate across all EVs I’ve looked at is 4.9/5.9.
Very low GFV at 21k but I will either be buying out or not running to term. Depending on how much I like it.

SS13

Test Pilot
Drives
Porsche 930 turbo
Yeah, no such thing as a deal, just take the price. PCP rate is a high one at 5.9% but pretty much the going rate across all EVs I’ve looked at is 4.9/5.9.
Very low GFV at 21k but I will either be buying out or not running to term. Depending on how much I like it.
So what are your monthlies if you don’t mind me asking.

MashinBenzin

Test Pilot
Drives
D5
So what are your monthlies if you don’t mind me asking.
I haven’t picked a deposit yet. Usually put around 25% in but thinking of doing less this time. Iirc £6k in was £808 per month but my memory might be wrong.

MashinBenzin

Test Pilot
Drives
D5
Ok, the question prompted me to complete the credit agreement. I’ve gone for £4k in and £836 per month.

My logic I’ve applied here is to keep the £15k deposit that I put into the first D5 in mid-2019 and use the extra £4k equity for the Model Y deposit. Disco is about £19k in positive equity right now.