Audi, Mercedes, Porsche, BMW Forum

Welcome to Deutschespeed.com the newly launched community for German Performance car lovers. The site is in it's launch phase at the moment and so content and membership is small (but growing). Soon we'll have competition prizes and and a live ad campaign to help build the community. If you'd like to be apart of what's going on, sign up and join in!

Ordered a Model Y

SS13

Test Pilot
Drives
Porsche 930 turbo
Ok, the question prompted me to complete the credit agreement. I’ve gone for £4k in and £836 per month.

My logic I’ve applied here is to keep the £15k deposit that I put into the first D5 in mid-2019 and use the extra £4k equity for the Model Y deposit. Disco is about £19k in positive equity right now.
So if I understand that correctly, you’re pocketing your original deposit from the Disco and using the spoils of the current car market (£4k) as your deposit for the model Y?

Are you going PCP or PCH? And why?

Apologies but this is all new to me and I’m considering something like this for my next car.
Both the Disco and the Tesla are on my shortlist so your thinking and choices will be extremely relevant to my eventual decision.

EvilDrPorkChop

Test Pilot
Drives
Porsche Cayman
Ok, the question prompted me to complete the credit agreement. I’ve gone for £4k in and £836 per month.

My logic I’ve applied here is to keep the £15k deposit that I put into the first D5 in mid-2019 and use the extra £4k equity for the Model Y deposit. Disco is about £19k in positive equity right now.
£808 a month 😬 I guess it's a £60k car though.

What's happening with the Disco? Trade in or WBAC. I had heard the Trade In method with Tesla isn't great, basically they aren't interested.

MashinBenzin

Test Pilot
Drives
D5
So if I understand that correctly, you’re pocketing your original deposit from the Disco and using the spoils of the current car market (£4k) as your deposit for the model Y?

Are you going PCP or PCH? And why?

Apologies but this is all new to me and I’m considering something like this for my next car.
Both the Disco and the Tesla are on my shortlist so your thinking and choices will be extremely relevant to my eventual decision.
I’ve gone PCP as I like the flexibility of the product - can exit early if I wish. As with the Disco where I’m taking advantage of market conditions. When dropping a deposit into a PCP the general expectation has been that it will be gone and just reduces the monthlies. So the whole £19k is really unexpected cash back. In keeping £15k back it’s just a decision to let the monthlies reflect the real cost of the car rather than massaging them away with a big lump up front. When signing for the Discovery I really expected it to be a 7-10 year car so a big deposit made sense.

On Discovery vs. model Y, you have an interesting choice. I’m viewing this as a downgrade in every area - looks, interior, features, luxury, ride, motorway cruising. But I expect to save a lot in depreciation, running costs and to enjoy an EV on the almost solely urban driving I do.
Going to write up my Discovery experience in more detail, but in short it’s nothing less than a cheaper FFRR SE with a load of added practicality. Never had a car that makes every journey so damn special.

MashinBenzin

Test Pilot
Drives
D5
£808 a month 😬 I guess it's a £60k car though.

What's happening with the Disco? Trade in or WBAC. I had heard the Trade In method with Tesla isn't great, basically they aren't interested.
Yeah and I’m pretty confident it will have strong equity - £21k GFV feels way low.

i have advertised it on Carwow a couple of times and it’s bid to £61.5k (January) and £62.1k (last week). Hoping to take something in that region in a fortnight or so. Keeping an eye on WBAC and hoping no big fall in that time.

EvilDrPorkChop

Test Pilot
Drives
Porsche Cayman
Yeah and I’m pretty confident it will have strong equity - £21k GFV feels way low.

i have advertised it on Carwow a couple of times and it’s bid to £61.5k (January) and £62.1k (last week). Hoping to take something in that region in a fortnight or so. Keeping an eye on WBAC and hoping no big fall in that time.
Yeah seems a bit low, you'd thought it'd be at least £30k. Maybe they're playing the Porsche game where you have a bit of equity at the end towards your next one.

Someone was telling me JLR had stopped taking orders on new cars (how true this is i'm not sure). Maybe worth hanging onto it a tad longer?

MashinBenzin

Test Pilot
Drives
D5
Yeah seems a bit low, you'd thought it'd be at least £30k. Maybe they're playing the Porsche game where you have a bit of equity at the end towards your next one.

Someone was telling me JLR had stopped taking orders on new cars (how true this is i'm not sure). Maybe worth hanging onto it a tad longer?
Yeah, I could hold out a little longer as the Disco waiting list was already 18 months and if you actually need a Disco there is nothing else on the market (definitely not the Defender as many think).

but there are so many economic uncertainties that it feels right to move it on as soon as convenient.

MashinBenzin

Test Pilot
Drives
D5
Thought it worth a note on the simplicity of the ordering process.

Configuring takes two minutes then another five minutes to set up an account and pay a deposit.

Over the past couple of weeks I’ve logged in a few times to complete the info needed such as PCP details and registration details. All done when convenient for me.

Shockingly simple compared with BMW or Land Rover. I’ve been impressed with the ease of these stages.

next stage is to await a confirmed delivery date and to wire across my PCP deposit.

isleaiw

Test Pilot
Drives
RS4 / Mini
Son in law is still waiting for his (lease, company car) but in meantime is getting an iPace (couple of years old) on Friday to tide him over. As he says, will be interesting to go from one to other and see what he prefers...

I've decided new Kia Niro EV when it comes in August in place of Mini (so probably wont get one till new year) and then I will bin the RS for something less dog friendly and probably older as a proper weekend / retirement car.....

MashinBenzin

Test Pilot
Drives
D5
Son in law is still waiting for his (lease, company car) but in meantime is getting an iPace (couple of years old) on Friday to tide him over. As he says, will be interesting to go from one to other and see what he prefers...

I've decided new Kia Niro EV when it comes in August in place of Mini (so probably wont get one till new year) and then I will bin the RS for something less dog friendly and probably older as a proper weekend / retirement car.....
The new Niro looks excellent. Is there a chance to place an early pre-order to get one of the first in the country? Given waits for other models it might quickly become a multi-month wait?

Will be interesting to see how your son-in-law views the iPace vs. the Y. The Jag has a few significant aces up it’s sleeve.

isleaiw

Test Pilot
Drives
RS4 / Mini
The new Niro looks excellent. Is there a chance to place an early pre-order to get one of the first in the country? Given waits for other models it might quickly become a multi-month wait?

Will be interesting to see how your son-in-law views the iPace vs. the Y. The Jag has a few significant aces up it’s sleeve.
I could but I think I want to see it first.... I'll see what the dealers say.

I think the Jag is probably a better luxury car, the Tesla probably a better EV, and it will be close which matters most to the buyer. Fact is at the moment he cant get an Ipace quickly enough new so the Tesla wins - unless he decides to keep the IPace even though its not new and hands the Tesla to someone else after it arrives.... he will just be pleased to get rid of the BIK on the Merc diesel he currently has (as well as getting rid of the Merc diesel he currently has!)

saltyamigo

Tyre Kicker
Drives
S Box.
I think the ipace will be a nice place to spend your time, very comfortable and quiet. Y will win easily on efficiency and I know which I would rather take on a long journey until the Supercharger network opens up despite the Jag being the nicer place to be (non Tesla UK infrastructure is still years behind other European countries). As said it really depends on what matters to you in a car and what type of use you need it for. Used ipace was a bit of a bargain a couple of years ago but seem to be keeping their price now, like everything else.

Last edited:

MashinBenzin

Test Pilot
Drives
D5
Any thoughts on the physical key? Or are you going with phone only? Great to have options.
Pretty much decided that I will get the physical key. With no gesture control tailgate, a key will be much easier than phone when returning loaded up.

EvilDrPorkChop

Test Pilot
Drives
Porsche Cayman
Pretty much decided that I will get the physical key. With no gesture control tailgate, a key will be much easier than phone when returning loaded up.
The hatch has a button though? Not the frunk though.

My mate just has the phone and likes it. Apparently with the key they can be stolen easier vs. Just the phone.

I do like a key though, and actually prefer having to put the key in the dash and turning it on mine 😂

TimMcC

Tyre Kicker
Drives
BMW i3S & Jaguar I-Pace
I think the ipace will be a nice place to spend your time, very comfortable and quiet. Y will win easily on efficiency and I know which I would rather take on a long journey until the Supercharger network opens up despite the Jag being the nicer place to be (non Tesla UK infrastructure is still years behind other European countries). As said it really depends on what matters to you in a car and what type of use you need it for. Used ipace was a bit of a bargain a couple of years ago but seem to be keeping their price now, like everything else.

Very rapidly getting better with MFG, Instavolt, Osprey, Shell, and Gridserve all opening up hubs.

I'm off on a holiday next week which will involve somewhere between 700-1000 miles of driving from Hampshire to Lincolnshire, Cornwall, and back to Hampshire + driving about when there. Will report back on how it goes.

Current plan is to mainly use the big hubs near Rugby, Bristol, and Exeter.

saltyamigo

Tyre Kicker
Drives
S Box.
I hardly ever carry my wallet (true Scotsman, if I don't have money I cant spend it 😅) so never carry a keycard with me, and have never had an issue with just the phone, Samsung or Apple. But I have had a more phone anxiety in my time with the car than range anxiety, worrying that my phone would go flat while out and I would be locked out of the car, rather than worrying about the car running out of battery.

MashinBenzin

Test Pilot
Drives
D5
Very rapidly getting better with MFG, Instavolt, Osprey, Shell, and Gridserve all opening up hubs.

I'm off on a holiday next week which will involve somewhere between 700-1000 miles of driving from Hampshire to Lincolnshire, Cornwall, and back to Hampshire + driving about when there. Will report back on how it goes.

Current plan is to mainly use the big hubs near Rugby, Bristol, and Exeter.
They’ve just opened what looks like a large bank of chargers at a brand new Shell station at Cribbs Causeway (Bristol) right off the M5. Adjacent to a big new Toyota/Lexus dealership.

Not useful for your trip, but the fuel station on my school run has just had 4 150kw chargers installed too.

sahajesh

Test Pilot
Drives
X5 40i M Sport
I’m waiting for my employer to launch their salary sacrifice scheme, at which point I’ll choose an EV, offload the X5 and pay the finance off on that.

Any EV I get for now will be 2 or 3 years and then replaced by either:

RRS EV
Neue Klass EV
Another Tesla?

MashinBenzin

Test Pilot
Drives
D5
@MashinBenzin might be worth checking WBAC for your Discovery today. Ours has shot up £4K today for some reason 🤷🏻‍♂️
Interesting! Mine dipped by £1400 last Monday, after holding steady for several weeks. That quote will expire today and I will check again tomorrow.

I have brought my usual luck to the world of Tesla. Estimated delivery pushed out by 3 weeks due to the Shanghai covid lockdown. Which, of course, could extend longer. As the date had held a while I was kind of hoping mine was built and sat quayside waiting for a boat, but not looking that way.