Audi, Mercedes, Porsche, BMW Forum

Welcome to Deutschespeed.com the newly launched community for German Performance car lovers. The site is in it's launch phase at the moment and so content and membership is small (but growing). Soon we'll have competition prizes and and a live ad campaign to help build the community. If you'd like to be apart of what's going on, sign up and join in!

Thinking about an M3 Convertible....

moonstone

Tyre Kicker
Drives
Audi R8 V10+ • Taycan GTS
going to have look at this one, cause its near me

regarding rod bearings - i was meaning when they go i presume you hear rumble from the bottom end? Do they take the rest of the motor with them, or just bearings?

Yeah pretty well known issue. Best to do a bit of Googling as lots on the net about it.

@boba fett what the red M4? Did you ditch it?

boba fett

Racing Driver
Drives
320d
Yeah pretty well known issue. Best to do a bit of Googling as lots on the net about it.

@boba fett what the red M4? Did you ditch it?

Yes I did, I am not dealing with that dealership again.

I waited a month for all the prep work to be done, they kept finding things wrong with it, including a new sump! It had an MPE on which I wanted and said it would be a deal breaker if it was going to be taken off, later on they said it had a crack in the box which they could not let go with it on the car, due to being an MOT failure, and they would put a standard pipe on they had and give me the MPE so I could repair it. I was told it would be put in a safe place and to bring a suitable car to fit the system in as its a one piece unit and would not go in the M4.

Then a member of their staff nicked it!

They basically apologised but said "it is what it is do you still want the car or not" It didn't even have a competition exhaust on now and it was my tough luck!

boba fett

Racing Driver
Drives
320d
going to have look at this one, cause its near me

regarding rod bearings - i was meaning when they go i presume you hear rumble from the bottom end? Do they take the rest of the motor with them, or just bearings?

You are not going to like me, but seen as you have posted it!

Its a base spec car, so factor that in. I am not a fan of Silverstone, but I understand if you like it, I think it ages the car quite a bit now, obviously needs rod bearings done so that's another expense. Its also quite low miles to require the actuators to be done, they normally start showing signs of failure over 60k miles! The wheels have just been refurbished all silver and don't look nice... oh and you have got a few cans of silicon spray to remove from the seats there!

Grunty-Motor

Pit Crew
Drives
X3M, MX-5, R1250GS and zx6r track bike
You are not going to like me, but seen as you have posted it!

Its a base spec car, so factor that in. I am not a fan of Silverstone, but I understand if you like it, I think it ages the car quite a bit now, obviously needs rod bearings done so that's another expense. Its also quite low miles to require the actuators to be done, they normally start showing signs of failure over 60k miles! The wheels have just been refurbished all silver and don't look nice... oh and you have got a few cans of silicon spray to remove from the seats there!
I get a lot of what you are saying - though think it is better specc'd than the advert (folding mirrors, comfort access, etc as some guy on M3 Cutters dug out some info)

I am leaning more and more towards this being a car to look at, rather than try and buy. Its not been taxed since 2017 if the DVLA site is to be believed

I have never been in one!

boba fett

Racing Driver
Drives
320d
I get a lot of what you are saying - though think it is better specc'd than the advert (folding mirrors, comfort access, etc as some guy on M3 Cutters dug out some info)

I am leaning more and more towards this being a car to look at, rather than try and buy. Its not been taxed since 2017 if the DVLA site is to be believed

I have never been in one!
So its not base spec then, but I would want must have options like, EDS, Harmon Kardon (even thats not that good) Individual audio is awesome, heated seats, DAB.

As you say use it to drive one!

Grunty-Motor

Pit Crew
Drives
it wasnt actually a bad car. not the best history but was actually better than in the pictures and drove well.

it has given me a good reference point, for sure.

Grunty-Motor

Pit Crew
Drives
very mixed .....couldnt really give it any serious welly.

1. felt slower than the X3M
2. a little quieter with the roof down than the MX5
3. more rattles with the roof up than the MX5
4. MX5 wallowed like a shite in a bath in comparison
5. The F83 BMW is better in every way - and i will be shot for this, maybe an equal on the noise front (standard)
6. It had standard exhaust....you could hear the potential
7. a bit jerky in 1st on a junction.....X3M can be too

are you ready for this...if its a 2 seater 'vert you are after....just get an MX5!!!

I havent been put off - will have a look at a few others in the next couple of weeks when we are holidaying in England (hardly any this far North)

moonstone

Tyre Kicker
Drives
Audi R8 V10+ • Taycan GTS
very mixed .....couldnt really give it any serious welly.

1. felt slower than the X3M
2. a little quieter with the roof down than the MX5
3. more rattles with the roof up than the MX5
4. MX5 wallowed like a shite in a bath in comparison
5. The F83 BMW is better in every way - and i will be shot for this, maybe an equal on the noise front (standard)
6. It had standard exhaust....you could hear the potential
7. a bit jerky in 1st on a junction.....X3M can be too

are you ready for this...if its a 2 seater 'vert you are after....just get an MX5!!!

I havent been put off - will have a look at a few others in the next couple of weeks when we are holidaying in England (hardly any this far North)

Sounds fair. The issue with it is in comparison to the X3M is there’s no turbos and you need to wring its neck all the time.

Personally if you’re not set on the V8 engine then I think the F83 is the better option these days. After my R8 debacle I’m half-thinking of going back down the F83 route as I thought that car sounded tremendous with the roof down but I’m just not sure if I can put up with the roof creaks when it’s up.

Last edited:

boba fett

Racing Driver
Drives
320d
Sounds fair. The issue with it is in comparison to the X3M is there’s no turbos and you need to wrong its neck all the time.

Personally if you’re not set on the V8 engine then I think the F83 is the better option these days. After my R8 debacle I’m half-thinking of going back down the F83 route as I thought that car sounded tremendous with the roof down but I’m just not sure if I can put up with the roof creaks when it’s up.
I’m with you now, the V8 has a lot of things going against it today, the first being if you are not on your A game a Golf R is coming past you. If you must have a NA V8 a C63 is the better car, not so pin sharp but better in every other way.

the F82 is a good car, it’s also extremely handsome with all the carbon kit on. It is on another level in most areas to a V8 except the noise (as long as it’s had an exhaust mod, standard car is crap) on the F83 it’s the extra weight and as you say the creaks and rattles would do my head in again !

Grunty-Motor

Pit Crew
Drives
That looks very 👌

interested in knowing your thoughts?
So far, loving it!
Better than the MX5 in every way other that window rattle, roof down. Very well spec'd - every option apart from climate windscreen and additional 12v - almost up there with the X3M.
Individual Audio is probably best audio i have had in a car. ever!
I dont think it would have any chance against the Yaris or the Focus on a twisty, but sounds epic (stick intake & exhaust).
For what i am going to use it for, a 320d would probably suffice - but it does bring a sense of occasion when driving (y)