Audi, Mercedes, Porsche, BMW Forum

Welcome to Deutschespeed.com the newly launched community for German Performance car lovers. The site is in it's launch phase at the moment and so content and membership is small (but growing). Soon we'll have competition prizes and and a live ad campaign to help build the community. If you'd like to be apart of what's going on, sign up and join in!

An unusual purchase !

boba fett

Racing Driver
Drives
320d
How is it going? Like them a lot but the constant fettling required puts me off.

Its been solid for me, there is not much to go wrong if you buy a late one. Its more fun and an event than an M3 but less focused as a result. The only downside is It drinks fuel at an alarming rate and its £630 tax!

I just can't get excited about it and I'm just getting bored with cars, not many left that I have not had!

Which is why I bought this Jeep, which is useless. Can't get anyone in the back, its a faff to tack off and store the freedom panels, it takes 3 people to remove the hardtop, its got the steering from an oil tanker and its made from materials you normally find Milk tray chocolates in!

Senna11

Racing Driver
Its been solid for me, there is not much to go wrong if you buy a late one. Its more fun and an event than an M3 but less focused as a result. The only downside is It drinks fuel at an alarming rate and its £630 tax!

I just can't get excited about it and I'm just getting bored with cars, not many left that I have not had!

Which is why I bought this Jeep, which is useless. Can't get anyone in the back, its a faff to tack off and store the freedom panels, it takes 3 people to remove the hardtop, its got the steering from an oil tanker and its made from materials you normally find Milk tray chocolates in!
Perhaps time for a Mustang

Denso

Chief Engineer
Drives
E46 M3 Ruby 1 of 6, Audi TTRS Vorsprung
@boba fett You need to scratch that TTRS itch, they are getting pretty rare on AT and Audi approved used.

Denso

boba fett

Racing Driver
Drives
320d
@boba fett You need to scratch that TTRS itch, they are getting pretty rare on AT and Audi approved used.

Denso

Hmmm, maybe if the right one comes up and blows me away. I have viewed and driven a few now and to be honest I am not sure (other than Kudos) that they are worth more than my TTS, and in most cases my TTS was a much higher spec car!

Sitting in and driving is just to similar for a 15 to 20 grande difference, I can report the TTRS feels more grown up and less frantic (my TTS was running over 380) and makes a better noise if the exhaust is sorted. I think they are a good buy if losing money is your thing as I think they will hold there money very well.

I am looking at GT4's at the moment, and I know you have had one, I just wish they had another 100 bhp!

Denso

Chief Engineer
Drives
Hmmm, maybe if the right one comes up and blows me away. I have viewed and driven a few now and to be honest I am not sure (other than Kudos) that they are worth more than my TTS, and in most cases my TTS was a much higher spec car!

Sitting in and driving is just to similar for a 15 to 20 grande difference, I can report the TTRS feels more grown up and less frantic (my TTS was running over 380) and makes a better noise if the exhaust is sorted. I think they are a good buy if losing money is your thing as I think they will hold there money very well.

I am looking at GT4's at the moment, and I know you have had one, I just wish they had another 100 bhp!

If you buy a 981 GT4, i have some performance bits for sale that make it a bit better in the power and noise front.

Denso

moonstone

Tyre Kicker
Drives
Audi R8 V10+ • Taycan GTS

Have you got rid of the TTS @boba fett ??

I'm looking at TTRS, M2 Comps, Cayman/Boxster 981/718, 991 911, 1st gen Facelift R8 V10 (same as @Che ) and convertible W205 C63s as possible replacements.

But I'm just window shopping at the minute as by the time I get my TTS back it'll be like getting it for the first time again. I'm in the same camp as you on the TTRS, I'm not sure I want to spend the extra and feel like I'm in the same car. I'm worried it'll be like upgrading from an iPhone 13 to an iPhone 14...

Reactions: Che

Denso

Chief Engineer
Drives
@moonstone I like the iphone analogy. I would say going from a tuned TTS to a tuned TTRS is more like going from iPhone 14 pro to iPhone 14 pro max. Its not a huge leap forward in any area but its enough and with the extra cylinder it sounds a bit better, i think the bottom line for me was that i always had a desire for a TTRS. Thats why i decided to do it while they were still relatively fresh and also while good ones were still available.

I also see that the iconic editions for sale have started to reduce their prices a little, crazy money still though.

Denso

boba fett

Racing Driver
Drives
320d
Christ, I’ve got an I-phone 8 and it does everything I want it to. Can’t think of anything worse than going through all the hassle of changing a phone because the newer version can give you dimples!

Yes TTS is gone, and out of all them I’d have an R8, the others you mention are all the same cars you go through for this kinda budget and they are not special enough. I’ve been out to view a few of the cars on your list recently and it’s an R8 that streets ahead but that would be another mid engines 2 seater on the drive.

I nearly bought a C63s in Magno Silver and ceramics which is rare, lovely car but the paintwork was not good enough and if I’m honest, the W204 although older is more of an event with its stupid engine!

Che

Test Pilot
Drives
R8 v10+
Have you got rid of the TTS @boba fett ??

I'm looking at TTRS, M2 Comps, Cayman/Boxster 981/718, 991 911, 1st gen Facelift R8 V10 (same as @Che ) and convertible W205 C63s as possible replacements.

But I'm just window shopping at the minute as by the time I get my TTS back it'll be like getting it for the first time again. I'm in the same camp as you on the TTRS, I'm not sure I want to spend the extra and feel like I'm in the same car. I'm worried it'll be like upgrading from an iPhone 13 to an iPhone 14...
I’d definitely recommend the v10 r8, every drive is an occasion. All you need is a decent exhaust and they just make you giggle, that V10 is a masterpiece!
They are great fun and much smaller than you think so even small roads are a blast.
Servicing is quite reasonable (£450/700) although budget for £1.5k every 4 years (main dealer) for plugs, service, stronic and diff.
Buy a good one and you shouldn't lose a penny when you've had enough.
I took my mates lad to his prom on Friday, there were some fine cars there, much more expensive than mine but they were all over the r8. He was buzzing bless him 😁
IMG_9299.jpeg

moonstone

Tyre Kicker
Drives
I’d definitely recommend the v10 r8, every drive is an occasion. All you need is a decent exhaust and they just make you giggle, that V10 is a masterpiece!
They are great fun and much smaller than you think so even small roads are a blast.
Servicing is quite reasonable (£450/700) although budget for £1.5k every 4 years (main dealer) for plugs, service, stronic and diff.
Buy a good one and you shouldn't lose a penny when you've had enough.
I took my mates lad to his prom on Friday, there were some fine cars there, much more expensive than mine but they were all over the r8. He was buzzing bless him 😁
View attachment 3112

I've always loved them. I can't afford a Plus but I think a standard V10 would do me. Been watching youtube videos of the them and listening to the noise. That's the start of a slippery slope!

Senna11

Racing Driver
Not to drive the NA engine is much better?
The W204 6.3 is a mighty engine but the twin turbo 4 ltr V8 is an engineering masterpiece. Particularly the C63S with the dynamic engine mounts and later transmission.

boba fett

Racing Driver
Drives
320d
The W204 6.3 is a mighty engine but the twin turbo 4 ltr V8 is an engineering masterpiece. Particularly the C63S with the dynamic engine mounts and later transmission.
I’d probably say the 6.2 is the holy grail, yes the 4ltr is very good, but it’s still turbo charged. The throttle response, natural noise and sheer grunt is pretty wicked. If it’s performance as well the PPP or 507 beats all versions of the W205 unless it’s tuned.

I agree the W205 is the better all round package and it does look better with a lovely interior, but if I had choose to own one and keep it, it would be the 204.

Senna11

Racing Driver
I’d probably say the 6.2 is the holy grail, yes the 4ltr is very good, but it’s still turbo charged. The throttle response, natural noise and sheer grunt is pretty wicked. If it’s performance as well the PPP or 507 beats all versions of the W205 unless it’s tuned.

I agree the W205 is the better all round package and it does look better with a lovely interior, but if I had choose to own one and keep it, it would be the 204.
Noise yes, but handling is a bit pants and it needs the black series rear arches to make it look decent. Oh and better oil cooling.

moonstone

Tyre Kicker
Drives
Went to see a 2015 4.2 R8 convertible today. Didn’t drive it but felt disappointed in the metal. I think the coupe is definitely the better choice.

I can’t afford a V10 facelift so it’s looking like a V8 s-tronic is what I might end up with but I was disappointed at how I felt no desire for this car whatsoever today.

boba fett

Racing Driver
Drives
320d
Noise yes, but handling is a bit pants and it needs the black series rear arches to make it look decent. Oh and better oil cooling.
Define handling? It’s not going to hang on the coat tails of a TTRS in the twisties, but 500 bhp rear wheel drive, LSD and skinny 255 tyres is a hell of a lot of fun, and I have never driven a car with a more controlled drift!

I agree, Rear arches is its Achilles heel, but it’s a handsome car from most angles.

boba fett

Racing Driver
Drives
320d
Went to see a 2015 4.2 R8 convertible today. Didn’t drive it but felt disappointed in the metal. I think the coupe is definitely the better choice.

I can’t afford a V10 facelift so it’s looking like a V8 s-tronic is what I might end up with but I was disappointed at how I felt no desire for this car whatsoever today.
I wouldn’t get a V8 R8, they are just not good enough, it will always be the original, but it’s old, looks old inside and out, drives old and is not fast enough. I only drove one a few weeks back, and god it was disappointing !Buy one for the gated manual only, and maybe with an exhaust I like the V8 noise more than the V10.