Audi, Mercedes, Porsche, BMW Forum

Welcome to Deutschespeed.com the newly launched community for German Performance car lovers. The site is in it's launch phase at the moment and so content and membership is small (but growing). Soon we'll have competition prizes and and a live ad campaign to help build the community. If you'd like to be apart of what's going on, sign up and join in!

Buying a used car is a pain in the arse!

moonstone

Tyre Kicker
Drives
Audi R8 V10+ • Taycan GTS
I am genuinely flabbergasted at the used car market. I mean I know its always been a bit shit when looking for an older car but I've had nothing but issues since I started looking for cars:

Porsche Cayman 987 from a small local dealer. Car was rough, dodgy electric window switches and the Tiptronic lever kept popping out of gear. Guy was trying to tell me it was normal for an old Porsche.

Mini JCW - Looked mint in photos. Owner said that the bodywork was excellent and everything was in great condition. Arrived to look at the car to find all the black trim had been rattle-canned black and was flaking off everywhere. Front bumper was flaking and the car struggled to stay running after it was started.

Then there's all my enquiries about TTSs!
Perth-based Mazda dealer - car had one service done by Arnold Clark, the rest were all missing. Cheap chinese tyres, brake pads and discs all needing replaced. Got the car from auction had it up for sale for 5 months.
Peter Vardy in Fife - Took two days and four phone calls to discover that it had service history gaps.
Arnold Clark in Paisley - Missing history, broken buttons inside. Again had to chase them up so they could answer basic questions. Car been up for sale for 5 months.
Audi York - Approved used. Cant understand why three different budget branded tyres are ok on a 4wd performance car being supplied by a main dealer.
Indy dealer in Bristol - Sent me a detailed video to assure me the car was excellent. When I spotted orange peel paint on the bonnet and wing as well as a dodgy alloy on the same side, they admitted that, yes the paint needed to be better flatted and polished and it must have had a repair done before they bought it from the trade. Then I discovered that although it was advertised as one owner, that was a mistake and it had actually had three.

😠😠😠

boba fett

Racing Driver
Drives
320d
It’s a minefield.

sounds very similar to my stories after viewing so called “it’s mint mate” cars

nothing worse than travelling distance to see a car that is being sold as stunning, perfect and my favourite - first to see will buy, to have to walk away and return after seeing a complete Pup!

I have actually said, thanks for showing me this one to compare with its bloody awful, now wheres the one advertised and I have been talking to you on the phone about!

Last edited:

EvilDrPorkChop

Test Pilot
Drives
Porsche Cayman
I am genuinely flabbergasted at the used car market. I mean I know its always been a bit shit when looking for an older car but I've had nothing but issues since I started looking for cars:

Porsche Cayman 987 from a small local dealer. Car was rough, dodgy electric window switches and the Tiptronic lever kept popping out of gear. Guy was trying to tell me it was normal for an old Porsche.

Mini JCW - Looked mint in photos. Owner said that the bodywork was excellent and everything was in great condition. Arrived to look at the car to find all the black trim had been rattle-canned black and was flaking off everywhere. Front bumper was flaking and the car struggled to stay running after it was started.

Then there's all my enquiries about TTSs!
Perth-based Mazda dealer - car had one service done by Arnold Clark, the rest were all missing. Cheap chinese tyres, brake pads and discs all needing replaced. Got the car from auction had it up for sale for 5 months.
Peter Vardy in Fife - Took two days and four phone calls to discover that it had service history gaps.
Arnold Clark in Paisley - Missing history, broken buttons inside. Again had to chase them up so they could answer basic questions. Car been up for sale for 5 months.
Audi York - Approved used. Cant understand why three different budget branded tyres are ok on a 4wd performance car being supplied by a main dealer.
Indy dealer in Bristol - Sent me a detailed video to assure me the car was excellent. When I spotted orange peel paint on the bonnet and wing as well as a dodgy alloy on the same side, they admitted that, yes the paint needed to be better flatted and polished and it must have had a repair done before they bought it from the trade. Then I discovered that although it was advertised as one owner, that was a mistake and it had actually had three.

😠😠😠
Approved used, means nothing really. Other than you'll probably get the Approved Used warranty which is the best bit.

The issue is, people like us are usually fussy and have a bit about them. The normal public may think that things you mentioned are acceptable, I bet many would never even ask the questions and this is how dealers begin to think it's acceptable to sell cars like this. Cause they do it day in, day out.

I do always buy from main dealers though. Mainly because you can give them a bit of stick when something does go wrong, and they usually have to put it right. You certainly can struggle with that from an Indy. Also most of the likes of Arnold Clark and Indys are picking cars up at auction, where as the main dealers keep the good stock for themselves.

Denso

Chief Engineer
Drives
E46 M3 Ruby 1 of 6, Audi TTRS Vorsprung
I am exactly in the same position right now. The prices are bonkers and in a lot of cases the cars simply aren’t worth the outlay. I am looking at the final 2 tomorrow that are meant to be amazing, let’s see as I have had to travel down to Englandshire to view these. The days of cash being king is also gone, none will move even a few hundred quid on the price.

Denso

moonstone

Tyre Kicker
Drives
Approved used, means nothing really. Other than you'll probably get the Approved Used warranty which is the best bit.

The issue is, people like us are usually fussy and have a bit about them. The normal public may think that things you mentioned are acceptable, I bet many would never even ask the questions and this is how dealers begin to think it's acceptable to sell cars like this. Cause they do it day in, day out.

I do always buy from main dealers though. Mainly because you can give them a bit of stick when something does go wrong, and they usually have to put it right. You certainly can struggle with that from an Indy. Also most of the likes of Arnold Clark and Indys are picking cars up at auction, where as the main dealers keep the good stock for themselves.

Yep agreed. The M5 came from a very reputable prestige dealer not far from me called James Glen. They’re famous for some guy from London trying to scam them out of a Porsche by taking a bounce back loan in their name (James Glen’s) and then saying that the subsequent payment into their account was from their business called BB Ltd (the payment showed in James Glen’s account as being from BBL).

They refurb all the wheels, service the car if it needs done and machine polish it before it’s collected and they know their stuff. I think the purchase experience of the M5 has spoiled me a bit and set my expectations higher then is realistic!

At the moment the white TTS from York is in lead just because, as you say @EvilDrPorkChop its backed up by a main dealer warranty.

Last edited:

moonstone

Tyre Kicker
Drives
I am exactly in the same position right now. The prices are bonkers and in a lot of cases the cars simply aren’t worth the outlay. I am looking at the final 2 tomorrow that are meant to be amazing, let’s see as I have had to travel down to Englandshire to view these. The days of cash being king is also gone, none will move even a few hundred quid on the price.

Denso

All the volume dealers have their prices set centrally apparently, but the smaller guys have some wiggle room. Top tip - the first 8 digits in the autotrader URL is the year, month and date that the car was originally listed. The older the listing the more bargaining power you have.

As for travelling down South @Denso , is it just me or are prices up here in Scotland a bit higher? It seems to me all of the local cars are dearer and it’s not because they’re better examples.

Denso

Chief Engineer
Drives
As for travelling down South @Denso , is it just me or are prices up here in Scotland a bit higher? It seems to me all of the local cars are dearer and it’s not because they’re better examples.
100% This seems to be the case.

If you search on car gurus and scroll down the page it shows the car price history in a graph and timeline. I find that really useful too.

Denso

moonstone

Tyre Kicker
Drives
100% This seems to be the case.

If you search on car gurus and scroll down the page it shows the car price history in a graph and timeline. I find that really useful too.

Denso

Nice! Thanks for that.

EvilDrPorkChop

Test Pilot
Drives
Porsche Cayman
Any main dealers always buy on the last day of the month too if you want to push them, even better end of a quarter.

31st March is coming up 😉

boba fett

Racing Driver
Drives
320d

Denso
Denso, I might have been caught napping but what machines are you looking at now please?

Scoobyd

Boy Racer
Drives
BMW E46 330ci Sport Convertible

Denso

Chief Engineer
Drives
Denso, I might have been caught napping but what machines are you looking at now please?
Nothing exciting Bobba, just something clean, in A1 condition and relatively cheap in the current crazy market.

Denso

Denso

Chief Engineer
Drives
Well ended up with the 12000 mile Audi TTS, it was immaculate and only 1 owner.

if anyone is looking for a regular TT i saw the most immaculate less than 9000 mile example today, it was exceptional for a 2017, with only 1 owner. I would have bought it but really wanted to try 4 wheel drive.

Denso

moonstone

Tyre Kicker
Drives
Well ended up with the 12000 mile Audi TTS, it was immaculate and only 1 owner.

if anyone is looking for a regular TT i saw the most immaculate less than 9000 mile example today, it was exceptional for a 2017, with only 1 owner. I would have bought it but really wanted to try 4 wheel drive.

Denso

Right spill the beans @Denso as that’s what I’m shopping for at the minute. I test drove one yesterday and I’m going to see a other one today. I’m looking at spending around £25000 max though so I’m looking at 15/16 plates.

Have you seen any other half decent ones or are there any you’ve been to see that I should steer clear of?

EvilDrPorkChop

Test Pilot
Drives
Porsche Cayman
Right spill the beans @Denso as that’s what I’m shopping for at the minute. I test drove one yesterday and I’m going to see a other one today. I’m looking at spending around £25000 max though so I’m looking at 15/16 plates.

Have you seen any other half decent ones or are there any you’ve been to see that I should steer clear of?
That budget has sudden jumped up by about £10k 😂

Denso

Chief Engineer
Drives

moonstone

Tyre Kicker
Drives
This is without a doubt the cleanest TT i have seen and if I didn’t want a Quattro this would easily have taken my money.

Denso

Has to be a TTS for me. If the cars not powerful enough I’ll enough just grabbing the keys to the M5 everytime.

At the moment I’m looking at TTSs and Mini JCW. Been out in the TTS and liked it. Interior quality etc all very good and it felt nice and small and low.

I’m going to take a Mini JCW out as well and see what I think.

@Denso whats your approach been? Did you just take a road trip and arrange to see a few cars? I really don’t want to be touring the South of England from Glasgow to look at a bunch of cars that might end up being a waste of time (done enough of that locally).

Because I’m looking at earlier ones, there’s a lot of shite quality out there.