Audi, Mercedes, Porsche, BMW Forum

Welcome to Deutschespeed.com the newly launched community for German Performance car lovers. The site is in it's launch phase at the moment and so content and membership is small (but growing). Soon we'll have competition prizes and and a live ad campaign to help build the community. If you'd like to be apart of what's going on, sign up and join in!

Buying a used car is a pain in the arse!

moonstone

Tyre Kicker
Drives
Audi R8 V10+ • Taycan GTS
That budget has sudden jumped up by about £10k 😂

Lol. Ideally I want to spend around £21-23k absolute max. I’m just not getting the sort of quality I’m after at £15k. That mini I went to see was a one-owner from new car that looked absolute mint in the photos but was scabby as fuck in the flesh!

moonstone

Tyre Kicker
Drives
What’s the attraction with a TT all of a sudden chaps?

Personally, I really want a Cayman but the TTS is faster, cheaper and has a better interior. I had a Mk2 TT when they first came out and I really liked it. The mk3 is a much better car so because I can’t afford a decent Cayman, a TTS is the next best choice. Also I want a small, sleek sports car that makes me feel cocooned. Basically the exact opposite of a massive super-saloon. That way I’ve got the best of both worlds.

I’m intrigued by the Mini just because it’s so small and meant to be great fun to drive but it’s the only hot hatch i’d consider, everything else is too big. I’m also interested in the Mazda MX5 but good ones aren’t far away from TTS money.

Denso

Chief Engineer
Drives
E46 M3 Ruby 1 of 6, Audi TTRS Vorsprung
@Denso whats your approach been? Did you just take a road trip and arrange to see a few cars? I really don’t want to be touring the South of England from Glasgow to look at a bunch of cars that might end up being a waste of time (done enough of that locally).

Because I’m looking at earlier ones, there’s a lot of shite quality out there.

Exactly that, travelled down from Aberdeen. Had a shortlist of 3 cars. Had the dealers send videos, high quality pictures etc before travelling. Placed returnable deposits on all 3 and explained i was travelling a long way to see the car so they shouldnt waste my time. Fortunately saw 3 cracking cars. My budget was a little higher but good cars are out there.
Also spent more time on trains the last few days than i have done in my lifetime but with the train pal, trainline apps the tickets were fairly cheap.

Denso

moonstone

Tyre Kicker
Drives
Exactly that, travelled down from Aberdeen. Had a shortlist of 3 cars. Had the dealers send videos, high quality pictures etc before travelling. Placed returnable deposits on all 3 and explained i was travelling a long way to see the car so they shouldnt waste my time. Fortunately saw 3 cracking cars. My budget was a little higher but good cars are out there.
Also spent more time on trains the last few days than i have done in my lifetime but with the train pal, trainline apps the tickets were fairly cheap.

Denso

So did you essentially put down three returnable deposits with a view that you’d visit all three and drive one of them home?

Did you select a favourite and then choose a couple of local ones around it or did you literally go here there and everywhere?

Denso

Chief Engineer
Drives
Point 1 Exactly that

Point 2 travelled within a 150 mile radius, so a few train journeys but saw some new places that i hade never been too and the trains were super reliable. Stayed in 1 exceptional hotel in Alfreton which was a steal at the price and the food was awesome, the white hart inn. The other nights were in an Indigo hotel and a holiday inn. Staying down here for a few days to visit friends. I suppose kind of made it a wee driving holiday Now.

Denso

DaveA

Boy Racer
Drives
BMW M135i xDrive
I think that every pre-owned car that I have bought has ended up costing me more than I expected because, well, there were already issues with it that were missed when I bought it... even though I had professional inspections etc...

When I bought the E30 M3 back in the day, I had a BMW dealer inspect it, and they missed that the exhaust was bodged up with that putty filler stuff folk used to use..!!! That was somewhat costly... Even then, I think it was a four figure touch...

EvilDrPorkChop

Test Pilot
Drives
Porsche Cayman
Personally, I really want a Cayman but the TTS is faster, cheaper and has a better interior. I had a Mk2 TT when they first came out and I really liked it. The mk3 is a much better car so because I can’t afford a decent Cayman, a TTS is the next best choice. Also I want a small, sleek sports car that makes me feel cocooned. Basically the exact opposite of a massive super-saloon. That way I’ve got the best of both worlds.

I’m intrigued by the Mini just because it’s so small and meant to be great fun to drive but it’s the only hot hatch i’d consider, everything else is too big. I’m also interested in the Mazda MX5 but good ones aren’t far away from TTS money.
Don't you think if you get a TTS you'll just still want a Cayman? I've learnt that lesson, buy what you actually want the first time around. Otherwise you'll just waste money on other things, and end up buying what you wanted originally anyway!

moonstone

Tyre Kicker
Drives
Don't you think if you get a TTS you'll just still want a Cayman? I've learnt that lesson, buy what you actually want the first time around. Otherwise you'll just waste money on other things, and end up buying what you wanted originally anyway!

Probably! But being able to fit the kids in the back at least helps sell it to the wife.

Saw two today. £300 of a difference in the deal price. First car had a bit of trim missing in the interior, kerbed alloys x4, very spotty service history.

Second one is full Audi history was immaculate and has been ceramic coated in the last 2 months. The last owner traded it in for a Volvo V60. Maybe their Mrs has just gotten pregnant.

So I bought it. And it’s bright yellow!

Last edited:

Denso

Chief Engineer
Drives
Was this the one in Dunfermline? Nice looking car 👍

Denso

boba fett

Racing Driver
Drives
320d
Probably! But being able to fit the kids in the back at least helps sell it to the wife.

Saw two today. £300 of a difference in the deal price. First car had a bit of trim missing in the interior, kerbed alloys x4, very spotty service history.

Second one is full Audi history was immaculate and has been ceramic coated in the last 2 months. The last owner traded it in for a Volvo V60. Maybe their Mrs has just gotten pregnant.

So I bought it. And it’s bright yellow!

YES
wine.gif
!! I am a big fan of yellow, think it adds to the Toy ownership as well.

Cant wait for the pictures!

moonstone

Tyre Kicker
Drives
YES
wine.gif
!! I am a big fan of yellow, think it adds to the Toy ownership as well.

Cant wait for the pictures!

I like the the loud colours on these kind of cars. I’m getting It tight from the Mrs though. Mid-life crisis, poofy wee yellow car etc.

At least she’s not divorcing me.

boba fett

Racing Driver
Drives
320d
Tell a lie. I did take one more photo. Just to send to my Mrs (who was working today). To show her that the kids were in my corner on this purchase.

Nothing like adding fuel to the fire…

View attachment 1823
Well I think that’s a yes from the kids!

I think that colour makes the car, I know I am yellow fan, but that really does look good.

moonstone

Tyre Kicker
Drives
Well I think that’s a yes from the kids!

I think that colour makes the car, I know I am yellow fan, but that really does look good.

I’ll be honest. I do like yellow and quite frankly “fuck what anyone else thinks. If I like it that’s all that matters.” But I’m going to get some serious flack for this from various corners.

But you only live once! 😂