Audi, Mercedes, Porsche, BMW Forum

Welcome to Deutschespeed.com the newly launched community for German Performance car lovers. The site is in it's launch phase at the moment and so content and membership is small (but growing). Soon we'll have competition prizes and and a live ad campaign to help build the community. If you'd like to be apart of what's going on, sign up and join in!

Build The TT Thread

Doing a build thread? Highlight it!

boba fett

Racing Driver
Drives
320d
Gave a clean today, but I also did the engine bay which was minging and think its never seen a clean!

Also attempted to get the exhausts up, but they are heavily pitted and might just invest in new ones!

I also found a new button, which makes the side bolsters move in, similar to the RS4 Recaro seats. They really move in to hug you tight, and as soon as you turn the car off they move back to let you get out, switch it back on and they move in tight again where you left them!

Last edited:

moonstone

Tyre Kicker
Drives
Audi R8 V10+ • Taycan GTS
The pitting of the exhausts is a hallmark of every car on the MQB platform. S3 has it, TTS has it and Golf R has it. Each trim is around £60 each. Mine are bad as well but from a distance they're OK after a scrub. I did think about just painting them black but to be honest, but I prefer chrome tips so you can actually see them. I'm going to contact Crewe Audi online as they generally do a decent discount if you email them.

Only thing I'm worried about it getting them off. It's same drill as the tips on BMW's M cars, with the prongs holding them in place but apparently they're a real bastard to get off.

At lunchtime today I did a bit more digging on my auto-hold button and I've fixed it.... kind-of. I'm convinced that there's a fault with the button itself (for various reasons), so having looked at everything else, I came across a thread on an RS3 forum where guys were coding in the Auto-hold feature without the button (basically so that it's on all the time and you can't turn it off). One guy mentioned that in order to stop the car throwing a fault on the dash due to the lack of button, you need to change a coding option to tell the car not to check on the presence of the button itself. So I did this, and lo and behold everything now works, with no fault codes....

...however, although the button still works, the indicator lamp on it isn't behaving normally (it's permanently lit, albeit a bit more dimly than the (P) button above it, regardless if auto-hold is switched on or not), so I'm convinced that KUFATEC have sent me a faulty button as part of the kit. I'm waiting to hear back from them, but I can live with it in the meantime.

With that conquered, I moved on to my other outstanding job tonight which was to see if I can sort out the wobbly spoiler. The issue is that it's cheap and hollow, so with the lack of rigidity it wobbles slightly when driving. I think @Denso 's was worse than mine, but its still enough to annoy me. So my theory is that I can increase the rigidity by drilling a few holes in the underside and squeezing some Tigerseal in. The idea is that the Tigerseal will form pillars inside the spoiler that bond the top and bottom together and in turn cure the slight wobble at high speed. Having done all that though, I;m not convinced it's going to work. I think the main issue is that the uprights aren't firmly against the bottom of the spoiler when screwed in and that's allowing both ends of the spoil to pivot a bit.

If it doesn't work, I'm going to live with for the time being as it's not terrible and I can't be arse shelling out for the cost of a new one and painting as well.

boba fett

Racing Driver
Drives
320d
Surly the extra weight will just make the flex worse. It would need a fixed cross member inside, or a slim alloy bar fixed underneath?

If it moves at speed, it might be getting to a vibrating point. I am thinking of getting the spoiler, but it sounds a bit cheap and I don't want to drill holes then regret it. The fixed spoiler does suit the car. @Denso, have you still got yours, you want to sell?

boba fett

Racing Driver
Drives
320d
There's not much weight involved. I think @Denso tried a bar on the section underneath but the issue is that the spoiler is made from plastic and it's hollow inside. Along the middle the top and bottom skins aren't internally braced, so you can flex and squeeze it a bit. My idea is that the Tigerseal will stick to the top and bottom inside and go hard. I also slathered some on the bottom section but to stiffen it up as well but to be honest, if the spoiler itself is rigid and anchored to the vertical struts then the rigidity of the cross section underneath is irrelevant.

View attachment 2506 View attachment 2507

If I were doing this again, I'd buy a carbon fibre one and have it painted. The proper TTRS one from Audi, including the plate that replaces the pop up spoiler is around £1200 before painting!

Let me know how it goes mate!

Denso

Chief Engineer
Drives
E46 M3 Ruby 1 of 6, Audi TTRS Vorsprung
Surly the extra weight will just make the flex worse. It would need a fixed cross member inside, or a slim alloy bar fixed underneath?

If it moves at speed, it might be getting to a vibrating point. I am thinking of getting the spoiler, but it sounds a bit cheap and I don't want to drill holes then regret it. The fixed spoiler does suit the car. @Denso, have you still got yours, you want to sell?
I still have it and it is in storage. It has been filled with expanding foam but never been tried as i went with the Automotive passion one. Happy to have it sent to you to try and if it works we can sort something out.

Denso

boba fett

Racing Driver
Drives
320d
I still have it and it is in storage. It has been filled with expanding foam but never been tried as i went with the Automotive passion one. Happy to have it sent to you to try and if it works we can sort something out.

Denso
Thanks mate, how much do you want please?

moonstone

Tyre Kicker
Drives
@boba fett the part numbers for replacement exhaust tips are:

2x 8S0253825A & 2x 8S0253826A

LLLParts will do the complete set shipped to the UK for £220 quid. I'm hovering on the "BUY" button whilst wondering if it's worth painting the old ones first to see if I'm happy with them before shelling out for a new set of chrome ones.

moonstone

Tyre Kicker
Drives
So Kufatec are saying my wiring is correct and the coding is correct but they still don’t think the issue is the switch. I’ve to buy a replacement one from a local dealer and bill them for it…

…but they still don’t think that’s the problem.

2E16708D-7662-49C6-8B37-B0982C689185.jpeg

moonstone

Tyre Kicker
Drives
….and I’ve just discovered I’ve made a wee mistake on the wiring after all. 😂

moonstone

Tyre Kicker
Drives
@Denso when you’ve got a minute could you dig out the part numbers for your pads and discs?

I’d like to stick drilled discs on there and I noticed you went for brembo pads as well. Makes sense to do the lot.

Denso

Chief Engineer
Drives
All parts are Brembo

Front discs 150921-06147771

Front pads 150921-06177984

Rears discs 150921-05907187

Rear pads 150921-06136892

I did not have this information to hand but the guys at dubs sent me these part numbers As the old discs and boxes are stored.

moonstone

Tyre Kicker
Drives
Not sure where they got those from as Googling comes up with nothing but I found them on the Brembo website. Total set is circa £600 by the looks of it, so I think I'll leave that till next month!

boba fett

Racing Driver
Drives
320d
The more you drive these things, the more you grow to like them, they are good fun through the twisties, very nippy, and quick, especially off the lights.

I was thinking about upgrading to an RS, but the few I have driven was a while back and I did not show much interest at the time, as never once considered a TT.

I might get a drive out in one, I want to know if there is any marked improvements given the extra outlay, I think the main difference is the 2.5 engine, and maybe the noise it makes? and also I would want a Vegas Yellow one, and I cant recall seeing one!

moonstone

Tyre Kicker
Drives
Funny you should say that, I’ve been looking st them on auto trader but I’m not going to upgrade. I’ve put too much time and effort in the one I have. I’m not entirely up on the differences but the engine is the main one obviously. The car isn’t any wider like other RS cars in the range. So styling is just down to bumpers and spoiler etc.

Whereas Vegas was a selectable colour for the TTS on the configurator, I don’t think the same is true for the TTRS so although they are out there, I think they’re much rarer. Solar Orange is a nice colour on them too. Don’t think that’s as rare.

I’m getting the firmware update done on haldex and TCU by @YorkshireSouthWalesVAG (Simon). Which apparently improves the DSG a fair bit and stops it from bogging down and changing up to late when you’re flooring it. Just waiting on a piece of kit arriving that lets him do it remotely.

In terms of sound, I can wholeheartedly recommend getting the centre resonator deleted. Place that did mine also modded the back box and it sounds tremendous now.

A quick coding change can also keep the exhaust flaps open permanently too.

Denso

Chief Engineer
Drives
Not sure where they got those from as Googling comes up with nothing but I found them on the Brembo website. Total set is circa £600 by the looks of it, so I think I'll leave that till next month!
I will ask them to send me pictures of the boxes. £600 sounds about right.

Denso

Denso

Chief Engineer
Drives
i also looked into the RS but will stay with the TTS, too invested in it now.

With all the mods its quicker than a standard RS now, next for me will likely be a hybrid turbo as i am really mulling that one over.

Turn the sound up, listen to what the guy says at the end lol.

Denso

boba fett

Racing Driver
Drives
320d
Funny you should say that, I’ve been looking st them on auto trader but I’m not going to upgrade. I’ve put too much time and effort in the one I have. I’m not entirely up on the differences but the engine is the main one obviously. The car isn’t any wider like other RS cars in the range. So styling is just down to bumpers and spoiler etc.

Whereas Vegas was a selectable colour for the TTS on the configurator, I don’t think the same is true for the TTRS so although they are out there, I think they’re much rarer. Solar Orange is a nice colour on them too. Don’t think that’s as rare.

I’m getting the firmware update done on haldex and TCU by @YorkshireSouthWalesVAG (Simon). Which apparently improves the DSG a fair bit and stops it from bogging down and changing up to late when you’re flooring it. Just waiting on a piece of kit arriving that lets him do it remotely.

In terms of sound, I can wholeheartedly recommend getting the centre resonator deleted. Place that did mine also modded the back box and it sounds tremendous now.

A quick coding change can also keep the exhaust flaps open permanently too.

The RS's I have seen for sale don't seem to be as well specked as mine! My local dealer believes he might have a Yellow RS (not sure which) coming in to stock it all sounded great until he said he thinks its got part Alacantara interior, which I don't like!

Denso

Chief Engineer
Drives
The RS's I have seen for sale don't seem to be as well specked as mine! My local dealer believes he might have a Yellow RS (not sure which) coming in to stock it all sounded great until he said he thinks its got part Alacantara interior, which I don't like!
Haha, its great how different we can be. I insisted that it didn’t have full leather on mine :ROFLMAO:

Denso

boba fett

Racing Driver
Drives
320d
Haha, its great how different we can be. I insisted that it didn’t have full leather on mine :ROFLMAO:

Denso
I just can't get comfortable in the stuff, just grips your closes to much, I also don't like the feel, and it just makes me feel like its dirty and musty!! wish I never had the steering wheel in part leather on the BMW now. That's just me though mate!

I know people like it, its just not for me!

You have a PM mate!