Audi, Mercedes, Porsche, BMW Forum

Welcome to Deutschespeed.com the newly launched community for German Performance car lovers. The site is in it's launch phase at the moment and so content and membership is small (but growing). Soon we'll have competition prizes and and a live ad campaign to help build the community. If you'd like to be apart of what's going on, sign up and join in!

Build Moonstone's R8 V10+

Doing a build thread? Highlight it!

moonstone

Tyre Kicker
Drives
Audi R8 V10+ • Taycan GTS
I’ve got wireless CarPlay but I don’t have wireless charging. At least I didn’t.

Connects2 do a mobile phone charging pocket. Been having a lookout for one and all of a sudden they’ve gone from £70 down to £20 on Amazon.

Installed it in the cubby that I replaced the AMI unit with and wired it up to the cigarette lighter feed. Happy days!

moonstone

Tyre Kicker
Drives
IMG_5873.jpeg

Car was in the detailers for a couple of days to have the repainted bits polished and ceramic coated.

Burnsey

Chief Engineer
Drives
2023 G80 M3 Competition X-Drive
Looks fabulous mate.

The forum is full of amazing shiny red cars these days!

Denso

Chief Engineer
Drives
E46 M3 Ruby 1 of 6, Audi TTRS Vorsprung
And one shiny Ruby Red non Audi car 😊

IMG_1301.jpeg

Denso

moonstone

Tyre Kicker
Drives
After being a bit indecisive on whether I should de-chrome the headlights or not, I decided I was going to go ahead with it as the lenses were a bit tired with lots of stone chips and a few scratches. Spent the weekend stripping, painting and putting them back together again...802D938B-DB5B-481E-8634-4342EF6DE79F.jpgIMG_6340.JPEGIMG_6341.JPEGIMG_6361.JPEGIMG_6362.JPEGIMG_6366.JPEGIMG_6367.JPEG

boba fett

Racing Driver
Drives
320d
Hmmm, If I am honest I like the lights more before, they now remind me of lights that have had a film tint put on them. They look very nice when switched on though!

What have you been using to reseal the lights once split, I have just had a set of 16M lights refurbished and the lens done, and now I have to put them back together again! I bought the stuff on a role but not sure if there is anything better!

moonstone

Tyre Kicker
Drives
Hmmm, If I am honest I like the lights more before, they now remind me of lights that have had a film tint put on them. They look very nice when switched on though!

What have you been using to reseal the lights once split, I have just had a set of 16M lights refurbished and the lens done, and now I have to put them back together again! I bought the stuff on a role but not sure if there is anything better!

To be honest, I'm the same but It's more about when the DRLs are on for me, than when the car is sitting switched off. I felt that they light up the big chrome bit of trim at the front too much.

The rolls of butyl rubber aren't great to work with and a bit of a faff because you need to heat the whole lot up in one got to push the lense on. I tried using it the first time and binned it. Instead I use Sikaflex 552. It's similar to windscreen sealant.

boba fett

Racing Driver
Drives
320d
To be honest, I'm the same but It's more about when the DRLs are on for me, than when the car is sitting switched off. I felt that they light up the big chrome bit of trim at the front too much.

The rolls of butyl rubber aren't great to work with and a bit of a faff because you need to heat the whole lot up in one got to push the lense on. I tried using it the first time and binned it. Instead I use Sikaflex 552. It's similar to windscreen sealant.

Thanks just bought some, do you just put it in the gap, offer up, then use clamps and leave over night?

moonstone

Tyre Kicker
Drives
Thanks just bought some, do you just put it in the gap, offer up, then use clamps and leave over night?

Yeah, but most headlights have got wee metal clips that you put on that will hold it together. If not then strong tape might be a better idea. What car are you modding? If it's the Audi, you might find it easier than most. The R8 is the first Audi I;ve done and it was a lot easier to get the lenses off than the two BMWs I've done.

boba fett

Racing Driver
Drives
320d
Yeah, but most headlights have got wee metal clips that you put on that will hold it together. If not then strong tape might be a better idea. What car are you modding? If it's the Audi, you might find it easier than most. The R8 is the first Audi I;ve done and it was a lot easier to get the lenses off than the two BMWs I've done.

I bought some rare 16M Carbon headlights. They are like gold dust and cost £6.5k each when you could get them! Anyway they all have a flaw in that the inside lens has a UV coating which crazes with age and makes the lenses look a little misty. So I managed to get hold of a set and split them which was an absolute mare, but I did it, the adhesive used was shocking stuff that had to be cut out so carefully with a blade, took me hours!. Then had the lens polished and then the outside PPF'd and are now perfect and ready to bond back together.