Audi, Mercedes, Porsche, BMW Forum

Welcome to Deutschespeed.com the newly launched community for German Performance car lovers. The site is in it's launch phase at the moment and so content and membership is small (but growing). Soon we'll have competition prizes and and a live ad campaign to help build the community. If you'd like to be apart of what's going on, sign up and join in!

Build Moonstone's R8 V10+

Doing a build thread? Highlight it!

moonstone

Tyre Kicker
Drives
Audi R8 V10+ • Taycan GTS
IMG_4525.jpeg

1E793EA3-9F2A-4EC6-A1BC-BB398BE8BB35.jpeg

New airbag cover arrived today. Just waiting on the wheel. First time I’ve done one of these. Drilling out the rivets is a bit laity…

Reactions: Che

Grunty-Motor

Pit Crew
Drives
X3M, MX-5, R1250GS and zx6r track bike
is that what happens when you buy an Audi - start using words like "laity" 🤣
( I had to Google it....:oops:)

moonstone

Tyre Kicker
Drives
Look at the sizes of these modules!

Microphone controller unit, Radio & Telephony. All now redundant. I’ve unplugged these and removed them from the vehicle gateway installation list. Basically means that when the car is scanned these systems don’t create loads of fault codes because the CAN gateway is expecting them to be present and talking to each other via the Sat Nav unit (which no longer exists). Taped up the connectors with TESA tape so they don’t rattle. Easy to reverse as well.

It’s a small thing but I want everything to be perfect.

B22854B3-1326-43AA-9DE2-F607B09D9540.jpeg

Todays job was refitting all the under bonnet trim. New windscreen washer jets (that spray out in a fan pattern) in place of the originals, aligning the passenger rear light which was a couple of mm off and reassembling the engine bay after painting.

BEFORE
AA153C65-ACE6-4F82-81EB-FAF055B4AFE8.jpeg

AFTER
IMG_4536.jpeg

Last edited:

boba fett

Racing Driver
Drives
320d
Subscribed to this, and love all what your doing. Love a moonstone build thread.

Che

Test Pilot
Drives
R8 v10+
How did you get on with the air bag rivets? Something I fancied doing but wouldn’t know where to start dismantling and reassembling!

Burnsey

Chief Engineer
Drives
2023 G80 M3 Competition X-Drive
Live a bit of alcantara :cool:

Must admit though, I’ve never ‘got’ the centre stripe thing.

moonstone

Tyre Kicker
Drives
How did you get on with the air bag rivets? Something I fancied doing but wouldn’t know where to start dismantling and reassembling!

It wasn't hard to be honest. They drilled out quite easy with a metal drill bit and then a wee tap with a punch to free them. After that the airbag slides out and you just push it into the new cover, then just a case of working my way round with new rivets. First time I've done an airbag. Nothing that would be put me off doing it again. Especially when it ties in with the wheel so well. If the airbag cover was leather (like on my TTS) I probably wouldn't have bother but glad I did.

Last edited:
Reactions: Che

moonstone

Tyre Kicker
Drives
Bad news. The Maxton splitter I bought, doesn't work with the V10+ carbon splitter. I either need to find a standard one or butcher the Maxton one.

Good news. Got my bumpers back this afternoon and have been at this since 3pm. Just finished an hour ago. Also stuck my spacers on. The car is really starting to come together now I think...

IMG_4604.jpgIMG_4606.jpgIMG_4608.jpg

moonstone

Tyre Kicker
Drives
Slowly but surely making the car perfect. Fixed a dodgy rear foglight today. Just the bulb-housing that needs cleaned. Since the bumper came off, the reversing camera has stopped working. Everything is connected so I'm guessing I must have knackered it, taking it apart. New one ordered.

Big day tomorrow at the main dealer:
  • Spark Plugs (due in 4k miles) - £362.80
  • Engine Oil (due next month) - £416.25
  • S-Tronic Oil (due in 4k miles) - £443.30
  • Brake Fluid (due next month) - £203.30
  • MOT (not due till Jan) - £54.85
  • New V Belt (getting occasional squeal at low revs) - £174.84
Painful outlay but between this and another couple of hundred quid getting the cam sensors replaced next week, the car should be absolutely mechanically perfect after that.

Also I spoke to Maxton about their front splitter not fitting the V10+ model. They didn't have a clue about it an are going to look into it. I've had to order the standard r8 black lip (blink and you'll miss it) so that I can fit that in place of the V10+ carbon lip and then the Maxton splitter can go on.

Last edited:

moonstone

Tyre Kicker
Drives
Collecting the car tomorrow. All the work's been done but it turns out that the V Belt tensioner is faulty. Dealer has already approached warranty to get authorisation to sort it and order the parts. So it'll need to go back in for that.

Last edited:

Grunty-Motor

Pit Crew
Drives
X3M, MX-5, R1250GS and zx6r track bike
some of those prices dont look at odds with a bog standard BMW - but +£200 for brake fluid sticks out.

those are good improvements youve made looking at the first->last pics (y)

moonstone

Tyre Kicker
Drives
some of those prices dont look at odds with a bog standard BMW - but +£200 for brake fluid sticks out.

those are good improvements youve made looking at the first->last pics (y)

My warranty has knocked back the v-belt tensioner so that’s another £380 for the part. They’re not charging me labour if I leave it with them so they’ll do it along with the belt. My excess is £250 so I’d only save £130 anyway so not the end for the world.

I’ve got a named component warranty and a £250 excess which was £1200. The covers-everything-with-zero-excess one was nearly four grand!

Last edited:

Senna11

Racing Driver
Looks amazing. Not I would be happy drilling out an airbag! Who did the steering wheel and airbag?
Also who do you use for car mats?