Audi, Mercedes, Porsche, BMW Forum

Welcome to Deutschespeed.com the newly launched community for German Performance car lovers. The site is in it's launch phase at the moment and so content and membership is small (but growing). Soon we'll have competition prizes and and a live ad campaign to help build the community. If you'd like to be apart of what's going on, sign up and join in!

The Range Rover Thread

boba fett

Racing Driver
Drives
320d
Wee update on my recently purchased Range Rover Sport for anyone interested.

It has been in at the main dealers since Thursday last week and the following faults have been diagnosed:
  • Glow Plugs on cylinders 1 & 2 are knackered.
    • I priced two genuine glow plugs online at around £110 for the pair. Land Rover are quoting £617.29 plus VAT (parts & labour)
  • Gearbox selector module has an internal fault and needs replaced.
    • I found a used one for £100 and new ones for around £350. Land Rover are quoting £879.01 plus VAT (parts & labour)
  • Wiring under drivers seat is causing the airbag warning light.
    • From what I've read this is a very common issue down to a poor design, where the loom or connectors get damaged or loosen from the drivers seat moving back and forward when easy entry is selected. Priced a brand new loom at around £100. Land Rover are quoting £340.80 plus VAT to remove the seat and investigate with potential further parts and labour costs depending on what they find.
So total cost so far is £2204.52 (inc VAT) + their initial diagnostics charge which must be around £200.00.

They emailed all this to the MD of the supplying dealer along with their technicians report at 5:30pm yesterday. He responded at 08:00am this morning authorising them to go ahead.

All along the way, I've literally not had to ask for or push for anything. They've been very accommodating and proactive throughout. To be honest, I am absolutely gob-smacked (in a good way).

That dealer has been awesome !

Che

Test Pilot
Drives
R8 v10+
Didnt see it. I think most motors would be disintegrated by a tree at 101 mph right enough!
I agree, it wasnt directed at Range Rovers, just wondered if anyone else had seen it, was like a bomb had gone off in it, scary!

moonstone

Tyre Kicker
Drives
Audi R8 V10+ • Taycan GTS
I agree, it wasnt directed at Range Rovers, just wondered if anyone else had seen it, was like a bomb had gone off in it, scary!

Oh no, I got that. I read the article about it. Guy was 57, steaming drunk and on cocaine!

Last edited:
Reactions: Che

moonstone

Tyre Kicker
Drives
Got the wife’s RRS back today. It’s been it at the Land Rover dealers for over two weeks. Bit of a shambles in the end. They had diagnosed that a new wiring harness for the drivers seat was required but that the part was on back order. I told them not to bother, got the supplying dealer to pay for one I bought online and decided to fit it myself when it arrives.

Picked the car up today and the airbag warning light was gone. It’s obviously just been a loose connection in the wiring loom under seat (common fault) but because their computer said it was broken they wanted to charge £500 to supply and fit a new one!

Main dealers really do not have skilled fault-finding techs these days. Yet they charge £140 per hour labour.

Anyway car is all fixed. Got it back, washed it, fitted new sport and Land Rover badges on the rear, fitted new tail lights and then tinted the headlights to match. Then whacked the private plate on it. Still got roof rails, black bolts for the wheels and an Android ICE unit to fit.
I’d upgraded and fitted the new style grill and all black bonnet and wing vents already. Ive got some spare orange caliper paint that I never used on my RS5 and think that will look mega so that’s on the list for a warm sunny day....

475EA7E2-521E-4960-9FC4-190C89C76771.jpeg
C772D380-5770-4BF5-A3A2-942B78752F41.jpeg

E8A00BB3-C17F-443D-BA5C-6249FBBCD2CB.jpeg
3600B861-A00B-42A2-B0CE-C2A7DB5E6A09.jpeg

0BBB7E12-DAF4-4C2B-BE39-1BABBB045B79.jpeg
C5CF419A-54A5-4BBE-AB77-341E616371EE.jpeg
7C7CA397-457D-425E-9342-596A4CFB03F1.jpeg

05CCBC24-2C0C-4107-A397-5585E989C361.jpeg

74F5A890-E5DD-4912-80F1-9EBDFDC76A93.jpeg

Last edited:

boba fett

Racing Driver
Drives
320d
Blimey that looks good, I did tint our front and rear lights on the Sport, but it looked shite against the Loire Blue as it looked a nasty grey smoke, but it appears to work with grey paintwork !!

What rear lights did you buy they look nice ?

PS- you need to tint the fogs !!

moonstone

Tyre Kicker
Drives
Blimey that looks good, I did tint our front and rear lights on the Sport, but it looked shite against the Loire Blue as it looked a nasty grey smoke, but it appears to work with grey paintwork !!

What rear lights did you buy they look nice ?

PS- you need to tint the fogs !!

Got them from Powerful Uk. And yes front and back fogs are giving me OCD!

Robinho21

Tyre Kicker
Drives
2 brits and a German
Got the wife’s RRS back today. It’s been it at the Land Rover dealers for over two weeks. Bit of a shambles in the end. They had diagnosed that a new wiring harness for the drivers seat was required but that the part was on back order. I told them not to bother, got the supplying dealer to pay for one I bought online and decided to fit it myself when it arrives.

Picked the car up today and the airbag warning light was gone. It’s obviously just been a loose connection in the wiring loom under seat (common fault) but because their computer said it was broken they wanted to charge £500 to supply and fit a new one!

Main dealers really do not have skilled fault-finding techs these days. Yet they charge £140 per hour labour.

Anyway car is all fixed. Got it back, washed it, fitted new sport and Land Rover badges on the rear, fitted new tail lights and then tinted the headlights to match. Then whacked the private plate on it. Still got roof rails, black bolts for the wheels and an Android ICE unit to fit.
I’d upgraded and fitted the new style grill and all black bonnet and wing vents already. Ive got some spare orange caliper paint that I never used on my RS5 and think that will look mega so that’s on the list for a warm sunny day....

View attachment 415
View attachment 416

View attachment 417
View attachment 419

View attachment 420
View attachment 423
View attachment 424

View attachment 425

View attachment 426
That looks very handsome indeed.

Glad you got everything sorted

Senna11

Racing Driver
Looking good Derek. Rear lights make a real difference. Were the front lights made to order and easy to fit?

moonstone

Tyre Kicker
Drives
Looking good Derek. Rear lights make a real difference. Were the front lights made to order and easy to fit?

I just tinted the front lights with some light smoke film. The film was pre-cut but to be honest that was a waste of time as I needed to heat and stretch it go on properly anyway. I'm not 100% happy with the job i'll get some normal sheets and have another go at it.

Senna11

Racing Driver
I just tinted the front lights with some light smoke film. The film was pre-cut but to be honest that was a waste of time as I needed to heat and stretch it go on properly anyway. I'm not 100% happy with the job i'll get some normal sheets and have another go at it.
Sounds as painful as using cling film. Will have a go on the wife’s car first! Where do you order from?

moonstone

Tyre Kicker
Drives
Sounds as painful as using cling film. Will have a go on the wife’s car first! Where do you order from?

Ive ordered some new stuff from here:

Senna11

Racing Driver
Ive ordered some new stuff from here:

Thanks, really helpful

Schmeel

Test Pilot
Drives
997 Hartech
Nice thread this, some lovely cars!

Stone the dealer turns out to be alright. Happy it panned out for you.

Love the colour and the tint really brings it up to date with he facelift version! (y)

moonstone

Tyre Kicker
Drives
Nice thread this, some lovely cars!

Stone the dealer turns out to be alright. Happy it panned out for you.

Love the colour and the tint really brings it up to date with he facelift version! (y)

That's what I was thinking. Never done headlight tints before and was a bit wary about how it would affect the light output but it hasn't really. I did look at the new headlights but you can't change them on their own. You need a new grill, new front bumper and new wings as well! Would be better off waiting a couple of years and trading it in against the newer model so 40 quid headlight tint will do just fine!

Schmeel

Test Pilot
Drives
997 Hartech
So guys, what are the main differences between the HSE and HSE dynamic?

I think so far, its trim and wheels. However is there a different suspension set up or something?

Schmeel

Test Pilot
Drives
997 Hartech
That's what I was thinking. Never done headlight tints before and was a bit wary about how it would affect the light output but it hasn't really. I did look at the new headlights but you can't change them on their own. You need a new grill, new front bumper and new wings as well! Would be better off waiting a couple of years and trading it in against the newer model so 40 quid headlight tint will do just fine!
Agreed not worth the effort for what would essentially be a minor visual impact at a substantial cost. How do you find the mpg is 35ish?

Currently my dilemma is 2017 autobiography or 2018 HSE.

the former being more luxurious, the latter having less toys but more up to date tech. Although I think the second touch screen for heating etc can be a bit tricky to use on the move?