Audi, Mercedes, Porsche, BMW Forum

Welcome to Deutschespeed.com the newly launched community for German Performance car lovers. The site is in it's launch phase at the moment and so content and membership is small (but growing). Soon we'll have competition prizes and and a live ad campaign to help build the community. If you'd like to be apart of what's going on, sign up and join in!

The Range Rover Thread

moonstone

Tyre Kicker
Drives
Audi R8 V10+ • Taycan GTS
So guys, what are the main differences between the HSE and HSE dynamic?

I think so far, its trim and wheels. However is there a different suspension set up or something?

Dynamic also has a Dynamic driving mode which firms up the suspension, reduces body roll and seems to affect the gearbox shift points and throttle response - not sure if it firms up the steering but I've not really noticed any discernible difference. Think Dynamic also adds sliding pano-roof as standard as well but I'm not 100% on that.

moonstone

Tyre Kicker
Drives
Agreed not worth the effort for what would essentially be a minor visual impact at a substantial cost. How do you find the mpg is 35ish?

Currently my dilemma is 2017 autobiography or 2018 HSE.

the former being more luxurious, the latter having less toys but more up to date tech. Although I think the second touch screen for heating etc can be a bit tricky to use on the move?

Not used it enough but given the journey's it'll do we'll be looking at 20-25mpg based on previous 3.0d cars we've had. Would expect 30-35 on longer runs. My budget only extended to HSE Dynamic rather than Autobiography. If it's the choice between the old Infotainment and the new I'd go with the one that had the new kit regardless of spec. It is night and day.

Schmeel

Test Pilot
Drives
997 Hartech
This is what
Dynamic also has a Dynamic driving mode which firms up the suspension, reduces body roll and seems to affect the gearbox shift points and throttle response - not sure if it firms up the steering but I've not really noticed any discernible difference. Think Dynamic also adds sliding pano-roof as standard as well but I'm not 100% on that.
I thought re the sunroof. But I am seeing some dynamics with no sunroof. Like this one for example:

https://used.landrover.co.uk/search#/details/3081778

P.S re handling is it considerably worse on the HSE as oppose to dynamic? Would be interested to know if there were any different parts in the suspension set up.

Currently no test drives allowed during lockdown. :cautious:

moonstone

Tyre Kicker
Drives
This is what

I thought re the sunroof. But I am seeing some dynamics with no sunroof. Like this one for example:

https://used.landrover.co.uk/search#/details/3081778

P.S re handling is it considerably worse on the HSE as oppose to dynamic? Would be interested to know if there were any different parts in the suspension set up.

Currently no test drives allowed during lockdown. :cautious:

There's a difference in suspension set-up and additional components to provide the adaptive damping on the Dynamic. Dynamic also gets an additional diff, torque vectors and the additional low-range gearbox settings as well I believe.

On dynamic mode it's not just a case of the suspension stiffening up like on an M4. It's an active system that constantly adjusts to keep the car flat in the corners.

Land Rover changed equipment levels with the facelift so it may be that a sunroof is now an option, regardless.

Schmeel

Test Pilot
Drives
997 Hartech
There's a difference in suspension set-up and additional components to provide the adaptive damping on the Dynamic. Dynamic also gets an additional diff, torque vectors and the additional low-range gearbox settings as well I believe.

On dynamic mode it's not just a case of the suspension stiffening up like on an M4. It's an active system that constantly adjusts to keep the car flat in the corners.

Land Rover changed equipment levels with the facelift so it may be that a sunroof is now an option, regardless.
That's a worthwhile spec upgrade from hse to the dynamic!

Thanks for the info bud

moonstone

Tyre Kicker
Drives
That's a worthwhile spec upgrade from hse to the dynamic!

Thanks for the info bud

No worries. Just double check that on the configurator because bits of that might have changed since the facelift came in.

Schmeel

Test Pilot
Drives
997 Hartech
No worries. Just double check that on the configurator because bits of that might have changed since the facelift came in.
I am buying used bud.

Interested to hear what yours Mrs thoughts are coming from the q3.

Driving around and parking etc?

moonstone

Tyre Kicker
Drives
I am buying used bud.

Interested to hear what yours Mrs thoughts are coming from the q3.

Driving around and parking etc?

I know you are but the configurator will be able to give you an idea of what comes as standard now from the facelift onwards. I know for a fact that things have definitely changed as a friend of mine got rid of his newly leased facelift at the start of COVID and bought a 2016 to replace it with.

In terms of versus the Q3, its obviously massive in comparison but it does shrink around you. It feels like a much easier car to manoeuvre than the Q7 for example which we also considered.

My other half thinks that it's not unlike the Q3 to drive and I get where she's coming from to be honest as although its a big car, it is very easy to throw around. Having said that, its very early days and we've not had to deal with any tight spaces or reversing much so far.

Schmeel

Test Pilot
Drives
997 Hartech
I know you are but the configurator will be able to give you an idea of what comes as standard now from the facelift onwards. I know for a fact that things have definitely changed as a friend of mine got rid of his newly leased facelift at the start of COVID and bought a 2016 to replace it with.

In terms of versus the Q3, its obviously massive in comparison but it does shrink around you. It feels like a much easier car to manoeuvre than the Q7 for example which we also considered.

My other half thinks that it's not unlike the Q3 to drive and I get where she's coming from to be honest as although its a big car, it is very easy to throw around. Having said that, its very early days and we've not had to deal with any tight spaces or reversing much so far.

That's one of my biggest concerns re the Mrs, what if she finds if too big to park etc and then won't drive it. ... women.

Can I ask why your friend returned the new model?

Really open to all options currently.

moonstone

Tyre Kicker
Drives
That's one of my biggest concerns re the Mrs, what if she finds if too big to park etc and then won't drive it. ... women.

Can I ask why your friend returned the new model?

Really open to all options currently.

Purely financial due to COVID.

StuartK

Chief Engineer
Not used it enough but given the journey's it'll do we'll be looking at 20-25mpg based on previous 3.0d cars we've had. Would expect 30-35 on longer runs. My budget only extended to HSE Dynamic rather than Autobiography. If it's the choice between the old Infotainment and the new I'd go with the one that had the new kit regardless of spec. It is night and day.

My average from Chelsea to Walsall was 37.6MPG on Sunday.

Generally over the past 16 tank fills its around 34MPG ish with a mixture of motorway and tootling round town.

moonstone

Tyre Kicker
Drives
So gents, mileage is high for age. However cant knock the price.

Looks like these are very slowly coming down?

https://used.landrover.co.uk/search#/details/3089244

I’d worry about moving that on when you were next due to change with the mileage being as high as it is. It’s 10k higher than the 2014 Ive just bought.

However if that’s not a concern there’s no reason not to go for a higher miler. Our car feels like new. They are very well screwed together. Not a squeak, creak or rattle to be found.

Schmeel

Test Pilot
Drives
997 Hartech
I’d worry about moving that on when you were next due to change with the mileage being as high as it is. It’s 10k higher than the 2014 Ive just bought.

However if that’s not a concern there’s no reason not to go for a higher miler. Our car feels like new. They are very well screwed together. Not a squeak, creak or rattle to be found.
I would love a black one with 21s and sub 50k miles.

I was just shocked to see the price is 10k cheaper than a similar spec dynamic with 50k plus miles.

moonstone

Tyre Kicker
Drives
I would love a black one with 21s and sub 50k miles.

I was just shocked to see the price is 10k cheaper than a similar spec dynamic with 50k plus miles.

Black with black wheels and everything stealthed out is the fav. look for these. My business partner has that but with 22s and the car looks superb.

boba fett

Racing Driver
Drives
320d
I thought the Dynamic package also has the big Red Brembo brakes or was that another option? Ours is an autobiography Dynamic, and some of the highlights we wanted, was opening Pan roof, big Brembos, Deployable side steps and 22's, colour was also a big factor.

I can vouch for the Dynamic mode being quite important if you want a Sporty drive, the standard car is still very good at controlling body roll on the Sport though, but its almost like a setting for the wife and a setting for me (when in the mood)

Mileage is important on these as there is so many to choose from and there is always so many for sale, its fishing out that right car, with the right spec for you that could prove more difficult.

Schmeel

Test Pilot
Drives
997 Hartech
I thought the Dynamic package also has the big Red Brembo brakes or was that another option? Ours is an autobiography Dynamic, and some of the highlights we wanted, was opening Pan roof, big Brembos, Deployable side steps and 22's, colour was also a big factor.

I can vouch for the Dynamic mode being quite important if you want a Sporty drive, the standard car is still very good at controlling body roll on the Sport though, but its almost like a setting for the wife and a setting for me (when in the mood)

Mileage is important on these as there is so many to choose from and there is always so many for sale, its fishing out that right car, with the right spec for you that could prove more difficult.
This is the thing. 90pc of the time the Mrs will be driving it.

I do love the look of the 22s I think they look phenomenal but concerned about ride quality?

Any opinions gents?

boba fett

Racing Driver
Drives
320d
This is the thing. 90pc of the time the Mrs will be driving it.

I do love the look of the 22s I think they look phenomenal but concerned about ride quality?

Any opinions gents?
You will not know the difference with 22's, but they are a lot easier to kerb !

Most of the performance / Dynamic stuff is completely wasted on my wife (its mapped as well) she also likes nicking and wafting around in the Overfinch as she likes the even higher up driving position !

It's me that wanted all the go faster stuff !!

moonstone

Tyre Kicker
Drives
The red Brembos are autobiography spec. Not standard on HSE Dynamic. Although I'm convinced that they're the same brakes just painted and branded as the size and shape looks exactly the same to me. Im in the same boat @Schmeel its my wife's car. I'll only be driving it occasionally. It already has some nice 21s on it with good tyres. The 22s look great and I'd get them if it was mine but she'll just kerb them anyway!

Last edited:

boba fett

Racing Driver
Drives
320d
The red Brembos are autobiography spec. Not standard on HSE Dynamic. Although I'm convinced that they're the same brakes just painted and branded as the size and shape looks exactly the same to me. Im in the same boat @Schmeel its my wife's car. I'll only be driving it occasionally. It already has some nice 21s on it with good tyres. The 22s look great and I'd get them if it was mine but she'll just kerb them anyway!

I completely agree, Its like the painted different colour roof option, still the same roof, but different colour !

One thing that is bloody lovely though, is the Autobiography ebony and Ivory interior spec, its a very special place to be.